Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB Lockers

Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB Lockers

Ok guys here is the rundown. I have a 09 JKU X daily driver with 3.73 gears/ 33" tires with a 5.3 liter engine. I received a quote for ARB air lockers professionally installed with tax out the door for $3,500. Can anyone chime in and tell me if this is a reasonably price? I expect lockers to be pricey, never bought them before and thought I would ask. Thanks!

Go easy, first time to post a question on here
Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jkvate
Ok guys here is the rundown. I have a 09 JKU X daily driver with 3.73 gears/ 33" tires with a 5.3 liter engine. I received a quote for ARB air lockers professionally installed with tax out the door for $3,500. Can anyone chime in and tell me if this is a reasonably price? I expect lockers to be pricey, never bought them before and thought I would ask. Thanks!

Go easy, first time to post a question on here
Not bad lockers are around at least $1000 and then they plum em in re install gears then run lines and air compressor....not bad definently worth it....

I personally with the longer wheelbase of the jku loved Detroit rear and ARB front....had a pump failure and lost the front but good old Detroit hammered down still...

Locker $1000 x 2= $2000
Compressor $200+ I'd go twin $499
Install $400 per end so $800
So yeah not a bad price.....

Last edited by BRUT4CE; 06-21-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dhpinned
Not bad lockers are around at least $1000 and then they plum em in re install gears then run lines and air compressor....not bad definently worth it....

I personally with the longer wheelbase of the jku loved Detroit rear and ARB front....had a pump failure and lost the front but good old Detroit hammered down still...

Locker $1000 x 2= $2000
Compressor $200+ I'd go twin $499
Install $400 per end so $800
So yeah not a bad price.....
Thanks! Now a second job..lol! You like the twin air for like airing up tires ect? Good idea! I always like to think ahead even if I don't need it right away.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

ARB is offering free compressors through the 29th. Buy one locker and you get the little compressor (cksa12 - lockers only - $175). Buy two, and you get the medium compressor (ckma12 - lockers and tires - $290). If you want the big twin compressor, contact them and see if you can work it out.

Prices on their lockers went up a few months ago. (right after they announced this special offer, big coincidence). I had quotes for $850 in March, ranging up towards $1020 in May when I decided to buy.

With the free compressor (that the shop should already be aware of!) I think that price is a bit high.
I got detailed quotes from 4 different shops when I was looking. If you pay full price on the lockers, $2080 - I had quotes of $1020 and $950 after the price hike. To run the lines and switches, $100-$150. And $400-$450/axle to install the lockers.

Are you sure you want to dump a grand + into a locker for a d30? Re-gearing at the same time? Depending on budget and use, have you considered strength upgrades as well? (gussets/sleeves/truss/shafts/etc). See where this is going? You could be smacking your forehead wishing you had gone aftermarket...

Consider just a truetrac and gussets up front instead of dumping a ton of money into it.

I just looked at the promotion again. On ARB's site, it shows the free compressor deal ended in May. On others sites, it shows June 29. Worth a call to double check that it is still valid.

And I noticed your engine. Guessing you aren't still running a front 30, so disregard the strength upgrade stuff above.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-21-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:27 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Seems about 1500 too high
Old 06-21-2013, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
ARB is offering free compressors through the 29th. Buy one locker and you get the little compressor (cksa12 - lockers only - $175). Buy two, and you get the medium compressor (ckma12 - lockers and tires - $290). If you want the big twin compressor, contact them and see if you can work it out.

Prices on their lockers went up a few months ago. (right after they announced this special offer, big coincidence). I had quotes for $850 in March, ranging up towards $1020 in May when I decided to buy.

With the free compressor (that the shop should already be aware of!) I think that price is a bit high.
I got detailed quotes from 4 different shops when I was looking. If you pay full price on the lockers, $2080 - I had quotes of $1020 and $950 after the price hike. To run the lines and switches, $100-$150. And $400-$450/axle to install the lockers.

Are you sure you want to dump a grand + into a locker for a d30? Re-gearing at the same time? Depending on budget and use, have you considered strength upgrades as well? (gussets/sleeves/truss/shafts/etc). See where this is going? You could be smacking your forehead wishing you had gone aftermarket...

Consider just a truetrac and gussets up front instead of dumping a ton of money into it.

I just looked at the promotion again. On ARB's site, it shows the free compressor deal ended in May. On others sites, it shows June 29. Worth a call to double check that it is still valid.

And I noticed your engine. Guessing you aren't still running a front 30, so disregard the strength upgrade stuff above.
Thanks for the information, on the drive back from the store i started thinking exactly what you brought up.

Maybe just do the rear for now and do some thinking about the D30 up front. I hear they are a weak link. If I do the rear only you think I should do the upgraded compressor? To be honest the rear locker is probably all I need, well for all the wheeling I do. Who knows that may change...

Not naming the place in Dallas that gave me the quote...usually gives a military discount. Don't think if they did that with my quote. I will continue to get a couple quotes...
Old 06-21-2013, 04:55 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

You could put the ARB in the rear and go with a LSD in the front
Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by familytime
You could put the ARB in the rear and go with a LSD in the front
Haven't thought about that, what would be the trade off with the LDS unit? Any names stand out among the brands?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Detroit Truetrac. (same people as the detroit locker).

Best limited slip on the market. Full case, gear driven, no clutches to wear out. Great onroad manners, even on snow/ice. Not 'locker' performance once you get into wheels-in-the-air offroad stuff, but the next best thing. Plenty of people running front/rear truetracs and hanging right with the folks running f/r lockers. You should be able to find the d30 version for $375-ish.

Google search "dynatrac presents lockers 101" for a good overview of all the options out there. And there are a ton of posts on this site about the truetrac.

The upgraded compressor depends on your needs. Onboard air isn't a bad thing, but lots of people are fine with cheap portable compressors. I got the mid-size arb compressor for the lockers and mounted it to the brake booster under the hood. (the free compressor deal wasn't going back when I got it). And also have a QuickAir II portable that I have been running for over a decade. There are faster and more powerful units on the market, but both do the job for me.

How is that d30 holding up under a v-8? When I saw that I just assumed you had swapped out the front end.

Last edited by nthinuf; 06-21-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Detroit Truetrac. (same people as the detroit locker).

Best limited slip on the market. Full case, gear driven, no clutches to wear out. Great onroad manners, even on snow/ice. Not 'locker' performance once you get into wheels-in-the-air offroad stuff, but the next best thing. Plenty of people running front/rear truetracs and hanging right with the folks running f/r lockers. You should be able to find the d30 version for $375-ish.

Google search "dynatrac presents lockers 101" for a good overview of all the options out there. And there are a ton of posts on this site about the truetrac.

The upgraded compressor depends on your needs. Onboard air isn't a bad thing, but lots of people are fine with cheap portable compressors. I got the mid-size arb compressor for the lockers and mounted it to the brake booster under the hood. (the free compressor deal wasn't going back when I got it). And also have a QuickAir II portable that I have been running for over a decade. There are faster and more powerful units on the market, but both do the job for me.

How is that d30 holding up under a v-8? When I saw that I just assumed you had swapped out the front end.
Great! I have some reading to do. LSD in the front sounds like a fine option for me.

Well enjoying the v8 swap, drove it back from Vegas to Dallas at the end of May. Yet to really do much with it other than back and forth to work. No other upgrades besides the engine and transmission.

Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: ARB Lockers