Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

arb locker question

Old 04-18-2016 | 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default arb locker question

so i purchased my new jeep finaly last month. ended up with a 07 unlimited sahera to replace my 08 rubi 2dr ,

it came with 4 inch lift with 35 toyo ats , not sure the gear ratio and it has arb air lockers front and rear. i used the rubi lockers but not same. i was wondering how to tell if they work and how to activate and turn off properly.

went upto airport flats last week and played around on the trails turned the lockers on but couldent tell . the pump turns on and stays on. dont hear any clicking or activation sounds .

i went threw youtube abit and google dident see anything really pretaining to my question so i posted here.

and if anyone had a link or diagram on how to setup the pump to air up my tires also.
Old 04-18-2016 | 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Vet Army

So your air compressor comes on and stays on? That shouldn't happen. The ARB lockers have a solenoid that charges with air and then the compressor shuts off. It shouldn't need to come back on unless you have a leak or you turn the lockers back off then on again.
Old 04-18-2016 | 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Great part about aftermarket Lockers is you can Engage the rear in 2H. To test the rear Turn them on and on dirt drive in a circle. If you get Tire scrub or Barking on Pavement your Rear is working.

To test the front put it in 4H not 4L if you put it in 4L BLD will activate and it will seem like the front is locked but its not.
In 4H try a circle again with only the font locked it will be very hard to turn the front will want to keep going straight. Also it will bark or scrub. If it does then your front is working.

I have front and rear E-lockers thats how I tell my lockers are working properly. For air you only need the initial air to lock the diffs. Some people run a Power tank instead of a compressor. Air lockers use very little air.

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 04-18-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2016 | 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

yea the compressor stays on. i did notice that the cold air came lose and wore a hole in the wires that some idiot wired threw the steel houseing for the cold air. i eperated cleand and black taped it and re mounted it but still just stays on all the time with the switch on.

ill check it at the park l8r when i get home. out fishing now.
Old 04-19-2016 | 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

If the compressor stays on ONLY with the lockers activated, you have a leak after the solenoids. If it stays on regardless if the locker is activated, you have a leak before the ARB solenoids. Just follow your line looking for a break. If it is inside the differential, you can figure this out by feeling for air coming out of your breather tube. ARB sells a repair kit that comes with splices and extra tube for like $25.

You shouldnt hear any noise activating your lockers, except for the compressor cycling every now and then.

Last edited by TweakJK; 04-19-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-19-2016 | 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could also jack up the rear and turn one wheel. If the other turns the same way, your lockers are working.
Old 04-19-2016 | 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: Navy

I had an issue where my rear locker engaging. I had gear oil coming out of the solenoid and when I had it looked at the original installer missed a vital step and that was cutting the 1/4 inch drain notch in the lower tube and the ARB filled with gear oil. Something easy to check. Remove the diff cover and look for a notch on the bottom of the axle tunes inside the diff. While you have the diff removed turn on your compressor and feel around for air. The copper tube could have a pin hole leak. Also check where the hose goes into the diff.

If your compressor stays on with out the lockers engaged I would start with replacing the pressure switch. What may have happened is the bare wires shorted the pressure switch.

To check for leaks use a soapy water solution or a little bit of baby powder. You should see some evidence of leakage.
Old 04-19-2016 | 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

lockers donot engage. pump stays on constant. once i figure out witch line is witch ima trace them with pump on se where the hole is. i figured its from when the pump was on constant fron the cold ait smashing the line and turning it on. i dont know how long it was on for. . when i goto fix the line is there a way to use the arb pump to air up my tires also? the crap pump i got now takes 20 minuts a tire ><

hopefully i can figure out this leak tonight goin back upto rubicon tomarow for a week

thankyou all for the input . has helped alot.
Old 04-19-2016 | 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: Navy

You can get a tire inflator kit from ARB that allows you to air up your tires. I am running the small ARB compressor with it and it takes about 5 minutes a tire going from 8-10 PSI to 28PSI

ARB Air Compressor Pump Kit (171302)
Old 04-19-2016 | 05:32 PM
JK Freak

If you find the leak and you have the plastic lines, do yourself a favor and get braided lines. I am so happy I did.

Quick Reply: arb locker question