Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB Locker Issue - sticking? leak? defective?

Old 01-25-2016, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB Locker Issue - sticking? leak? defective?

Recently had ARBs installed in my 2011 JKU sport. I'm having an issue with the front locker and would appreciate any help figuring it out.

First noticed it the other morning trying to climb out of a parking spot that I was really snowed/plowed into (I know, not the most exciting situation..... but I wanted to try them out). The compressor turned on normally for a second or two. I engaged the rear locker and the compressor came on for another second. Turned on the front locker, and the compressor started turning on for a short burst every 10 seconds. If I gave it any gas, the compressor would run almost continuously. Also, I noticed an oil smell as the compressor was running. The smell went away when the compressor stopped.

I shut the front locker off, got out of the spot, and then tried them again about 15 minutes down the road. The situation was completely resolved. Compressor filled the lines quickly and then didn't run again. The lockers both worked fine - no smell.

Tried it again this morning... same thing. Near continuous running and smell, then completely fine after some driving. Leaving work this afternoon (temp about 20 degrees warmer than the morning), the compressor ran as normal, kicked on once about 30 seconds later, and then was completely fine.

The mechanic who did the work said he was happy to look at it.... but he's pretty far from me. I'd like to try whatever problem solving I can on my own.

I'm not sure if I'm dealing with an air leak, sticking locker, or something worse. It was 25 degrees or less out both times that the problem occurred, and the diff oil was definitely not warmed up. The smell worries me most..... the air compressor and solenoids are located on the drivers side firewall, so is the extended breather tube for the front axle. Could the smell be coming through the solenoid vents, or is it leaking through the diff and being forced out through the breather? I have used the compressor to fill tires with no smell at all.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions....

Thanks
Old 01-26-2016, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CMHilbert
Recently had ARBs installed in my 2011 JKU sport. I'm having an issue with the front locker and would appreciate any help figuring it out.

First noticed it the other morning trying to climb out of a parking spot that I was really snowed/plowed into (I know, not the most exciting situation..... but I wanted to try them out). The compressor turned on normally for a second or two. I engaged the rear locker and the compressor came on for another second. Turned on the front locker, and the compressor started turning on for a short burst every 10 seconds. If I gave it any gas, the compressor would run almost continuously. Also, I noticed an oil smell as the compressor was running. The smell went away when the compressor stopped.

I shut the front locker off, got out of the spot, and then tried them again about 15 minutes down the road. The situation was completely resolved. Compressor filled the lines quickly and then didn't run again. The lockers both worked fine - no smell.

Tried it again this morning... same thing. Near continuous running and smell, then completely fine after some driving. Leaving work this afternoon (temp about 20 degrees warmer than the morning), the compressor ran as normal, kicked on once about 30 seconds later, and then was completely fine.

The mechanic who did the work said he was happy to look at it.... but he's pretty far from me. I'd like to try whatever problem solving I can on my own.

I'm not sure if I'm dealing with an air leak, sticking locker, or something worse. It was 25 degrees or less out both times that the problem occurred, and the diff oil was definitely not warmed up. The smell worries me most..... the air compressor and solenoids are located on the drivers side firewall, so is the extended breather tube for the front axle. Could the smell be coming through the solenoid vents, or is it leaking through the diff and being forced out through the breather? I have used the compressor to fill tires with no smell at all.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions....

Thanks
Sounds like an air leak inside the housing. I would check the fitting where the air line goes in the housing and connects to to the copper line inside.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Can u get to the breather line easy? Take off cap and put thumb over it and turn on, should feel if it's blowing out
Old 01-26-2016, 06:36 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine wasn't shimmed tight enough when we first installed it. Under a load, it would lose pressure because the locker would 'rock' to one side and lose air. I jacked up the axle, engaged locker, and spun wheel back and fourth to gain momentum/tension on the locker. When it got momentum I could hear air releasing from the breather, and locker would disengage for a moment.

Best of luck and keep us in the loop!
Old 01-27-2016, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions..... I will have the time to troubleshoot over the weekend. I'll reply with the results.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

one more thing..... Would any of those possible problems (air line connection to copper, breather, shimming) only show up when the diff is cold? It runs perfect when its warm.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Could be esp shims. When it gets warm the metal expands slightly
Old 01-29-2016, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi
Could be esp shims. When it gets warm the metal expands slightly
Yeah, I would second that statement. I have seen them act weird in cold weather with no issues in warmer months. Go through the checks for leaks like previously mentioned and start there. The tolerances may be off ever so slightly.

RockZJ
Old 01-30-2016, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In very cold temps it could be as simple as condensation in air line and selnoid freezing up a little. Deal with that
Sometimes with my big Rig, air dryer, air regulators etc...
Old 01-30-2016, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ exactly the reason I went with the OX locker. I use the locker more in the cold winter then in the summer.
Air lines freeze, especially if the compressor is pulling warm air. There is air line anti freeze but you'd have to talk with truckers who use that and deal with frozen air lines.

Quick Reply: ARB Locker Issue - sticking? leak? defective?