Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB locker, gears and more

Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB locker, gears and more

Last night, I picked up my JK from Matt and Seth, in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I had them do my install to the front of ARB locker , ARB Cover, Tubes, gussets, and gears (4.88's), in the front, and in the back, just the gears for now (no rear locker, still on backorder). After the locker gets in, they will be installing this as well. I would have liked to wait for the rear locker, but I need the time for break in before my trip out west in July.

I didn't have a ride over to pick it up, I had to trailer it back, so I don't have a lot of miles on it yet, about 30 so far today. But I can tell you that the gear switching to 4.88's is a noticeable difference, at least with my tire size (34's). I am running the Superchips, 93 octane setup. Response has improved, mpg shows some improvement too. And my cruise control seems to maintain speed better without having to shift out of overdrive so much.

My original gears that I had were 4.10's. Back when I purchased my Superchips, I had checked my build sheet, and it said that the gears were 3.73's. I don't know if I did something wrong when I enter my vin # or what. I did do it manually, but figure I messed up on that since the build sheet said different. I should have opened it up to confirm, my bad I guess. All this being said, I would still have done the 4.88's. So far, I am quite pleased with what gains I have made.

As for the install, these guys are great to deal with and they did a super job doing my install. I would recommend them to all! And they do alot more than just what I had done! Look them up, Matt is a member here, Call sign is Tuffjarhed.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Tight_wad
Last night, I picked up my JK from Matt and Seth, in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I had them do my install to the front of ARB locker , ARB Cover, Tubes, gussets, and gears (4.88's), in the front, and in the back, just the gears for now (no rear locker, still on backorder). After the locker gets in, they will be installing this as well. I would have liked to wait for the rear locker, but I need the time for break in before my trip out west in July.

I didn't have a ride over to pick it up, I had to trailer it back, so I don't have a lot of miles on it yet, about 30 so far today. But I can tell you that the gear switching to 4.88's is a noticeable difference, at least with my tire size (34's). I am running the Superchips, 93 octane setup. Response has improved, mpg shows some improvement too. And my cruise control seems to maintain speed better without having to shift out of overdrive so much.

My original gears that I had were 4.10's. Back when I purchased my Superchips, I had checked my build sheet, and it said that the gears were 3.73's. I don't know if I did something wrong when I enter my vin # or what. I did do it manually, but figure I messed up on that since the build sheet said different. I should have opened it up to confirm, my bad I guess. All this being said, I would still have done the 4.88's. So far, I am quite pleased with what gains I have made.

As for the install, these guys are great to deal with and they did a super job doing my install. I would recommend them to all! And they do alot more than just what I had done! Look them up, Matt is a member here, Call sign is Tuffjarhed.
This is exactly why I always advocate jacking a wheel and counting drive shaft rotations.
Nobody seems to want to do that, though.

Glad you got the gears you wanted. If it weren't so much work to change, I would try 4.88's.

Quick Reply: ARB locker, gears and more