Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: The Best Diff covers are...
The ARB's are best because of the drain plug.
32.14%
The Drain plug is mostly useless. You'll end up taking the cover off anyway.
17.86%
The Brand I listed below are better.
12.50%
The Stock covers are fine. Save my cash.
37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Are the ARB Diff covers worth it?

Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Take another look at the write-up. Pics and steps for the whole process.

- remove the fill bolt, place a drain pan under the drain bolt, remove the drain bolt, let it drain, replace drain bolt, fill, replace fill bolt. Takes 10 minutes. Super easy compared to other vehicles, and easier than changing the engine oil.

Pulling the covers takes longer, of course. Good to do it just to check out the insides, but not needed if you haven't found a reason to. (off-color oil, metal shavings, etc)
I will read the write up when I get another break.
10 minutes in car talk is normally hour and a half for me (if I'm luck and rarely I am).
I would rather not rush stuff like this or I'll start busting knuckles, losing parts, cross threading bolts and generally F'ing things up.

So the best part of the ARB is the tuffness and the magnet on the plug because it sounds like metal shaving are going to be a problem.

Can you just JB weld a magnet in there somewhere?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roeanoke
It is cake i did mine in rain and cold outside of my apartment one morning. One thing i suggest is using a Lube Locker. i used "Right Stuff" it works but i think the gasket would make it easier in the future.
Oh, so that gasket is reusable?
But I really am a F'up when it comes to this stuff. That is why my rear passenger fender is sitting in my garage right now. I was trying to "fix it".
Old 11-01-2010, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotFrosty
Can you just JB weld a magnet in there somewhere?
I wouldnt, if that ever comes loose u r going to mess a lot of shit up.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HotFrosty
Oh, so that gasket is reusable?
But I really am a F'up when it comes to this stuff. That is why my rear passenger fender is sitting in my garage right now. I was trying to "fix it".
Let me know when and i would be more than happy to help. Yes the Lube locker is reusable.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like my ARB diff covers. The bottom drain hole is actually angled down a bit to ensure maximum oil is drained out- discovered this when trying to put the bung back in horizontal. The rare earth magnets seem to do a good job of collecting any filings etc. Plus they look cool I have a file mark on the dipsticks to show the correct oil level (1.5 litre in the back 44 and 750ml in the front 30)
Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I want to get the ARB covers on my JK. I like the dipstick feature but I do have one concern in regards to the dipstick feature. Would it be easy for water or other elements to make their way inside my diff?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tycho
I like my ARB diff covers. The bottom drain hole is actually angled down a bit to ensure maximum oil is drained out- discovered this when trying to put the bung back in horizontal. The rare earth magnets seem to do a good job of collecting any filings etc. Plus they look cool I have a file mark on the dipsticks to show the correct oil level (1.5 litre in the back 44 and 750ml in the front 30)
That is good information right there. Thank you.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

what i meant by your poll being pointless is that you are not going to get accurate answers from the choices. each choice is correct under various situations. i could vote for each option, as probably everyone else could. however, since we can only vote once, we are forced to choose one question and all 5 options are equal.

The ARB's are best because of the drain plug.
best is relative. the drain plug is not needed, as others have stated, there is already a drain plug on the back side of the housing. is a drain plug a nice feature to have? sure. is it worth the price difference, thats your decision. i say no.

The Drain plug is mostly useless.
useless, no. needed, no.

You'll end up taking the cover off anyway.
depends on how you end up wanting to service your diffs. i like to pull the covers to inspect things. no one can answer this question for you because only you know how thorough you want to be with doing the service.

The Brand I listed below are better.
of course people are going to consider the ones that they bought to be better. no one would admit that they bought an inferior product. someone may choose this option just based off of what they purchased. they also might think that theres is better for the other 3 options.

The Stock covers are fine. Save my cash.
[COLOR="red"]stock covers are fine, unless you off road hard and on rocks or other obstacles that can hit your diff. if this doesnt apply to you, keep the stockers and just paint them if you like the look. stock diff covers are never going to fail from normal driving, unlike some other things on your jeep

FWIW, my list when i purchased was:

Riddler
ARB
Solid.

i ruled out solid after talking to another Jk owner who had issues with the rear diff cover hitting his track bar when flexed out. i ruled out ARB due to price. good luck in your search. you really cant go wrong with riddler or arb.

Last edited by wazooz2424; 11-01-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I was told

That the ARB Dana 30 cover allowed room for more oil. The tech said this was good for lockers and overall as it is a smaller area than a Dana 44.

That said, I have a Riddler in the back and an ARB up front.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

No one has said anything about the Teraflex covers? Anyone have these?

Quick Reply: Are the ARB Diff covers worth it?