Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: The Best Diff covers are...
The ARB's are best because of the drain plug.
32.14%
The Drain plug is mostly useless. You'll end up taking the cover off anyway.
17.86%
The Brand I listed below are better.
12.50%
The Stock covers are fine. Save my cash.
37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Are the ARB Diff covers worth it?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
You are not going to damage either of them .

Here is my take on them

Riddler - Cheaper , Just as strong . Kind of plain looking compared to the ARB . and is bare steel needs to be painted

ARB - More Expensive, Just as strong , Could be a piece of art , Dipstick , Powdercoated , Drain hole.

The dip stick is kind of nice because it has a magnet on it and the drain plug is nice in the fact that is has a very HD magnet also . So two magnets getting any metal shavings out of your bearings is a plus.

David
Thanks David! That is a few more things to think about.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, your poll is kinda pointless. do you wheel on rocks? do you need a dip stick or can you measure the old fashioned way? these are things that are important to know before anyone can tell you to keep the stock one or what brand is best for your needs.

if you wheel, and need a dipstick, the ARBs are best
if you wheel and dont need a dipstick and dont mind painting, get Riddler
if you wont wheel on rocks, keep the stock one.

one thing you will find if/when you do upgrade is that the stock is extremely thin. i was surprised how thin my d44 covers were compared to my Riddlers.

my riddler front:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-29-2010, 01:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm a bit over due on changing my diff fluid so I'm
If you rarely/never change the oil, the extra magnets on the arb would be a definite plus. But as simple as these diffs are to change, no real reason to put off regular maintenance.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...hange-write-up

I was thinking about getting the local group together and have group Diff maintenance day. But this is the first I've said anything about it.
I'm willing to offer up my two car garage but if one of the local guys has a lift that might make it easier. My next free weekend is Nov 13th.
Post it in the Staging Area. Plenty of folks in the Spings/CastleRock/SouthDenver areas. (but you'll probably want to open it up to an install party instead of diffs only...)
Old 10-29-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Junkie

Default ARB Covers

I voted for OP to keep his stock cover and save money as I wasn't really sure what his plans were for the JK.

For me, I've been really impressed with the ARB covers given the "hits" they've taken - everything still tight, and no leaks. Other ARB features to consider, for those looking, are the recessed Allen bolts (no smashed bolt heads) and the "slimmer" profile which means less probability of interference issues with other suspension components (i.e., track bars).

Old 10-29-2010, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

I have the riddlers and love them. No corners or edges or fins or anything to snag on, stout as hell, edges are flush with the housing, and it doesn't have any useless add-ons. Why do you need a drain in your cover? There's already one in the housing! The dipstick would be alright to have but I'm not dying without one. We've all driven many vehicles without differential dipsticks, so why is it so important now? Save some cash and go with the riddlers. You won't be disappointed. If they're not pretty enough you can always paint em however you want : P

Last edited by JCKnauer22; 10-29-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

If you want to see a really cool and complete test on many different diff covers, check out the article. Remove space after www.

www. jpmagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/154_0708_bulletproof_test/index.html
Old 10-29-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

i got solid diff covers. love em. and they are beefy! like 10lbs. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	99041
Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
FWIW, your poll is kinda pointless.
The Poll was free so it's worth nothing. However it's not Pointless because I want to learn more about something I know little about.
do you wheel on rocks?
Yes
do you need a dip stick or can you measure the old fashioned way?
I've never done it so I don't know... Do I?
these are things that are important to know before anyone can tell you to keep the stock one or what brand is best for your needs.
I agree. That's why I'm asking questions.

if you wheel, and need a dipstick, the ARBs are best
That's what I'm not sure about.
if you wheel and dont need a dipstick and dont mind painting, get Riddler
I don't mind painting at all, One of the few things I'm good at.
if you wont wheel on rocks, keep the stock one.
Colorado is rocky. But rocks make it fun!

one thing you will find if/when you do upgrade is that the stock is extremely thin. i was surprised how thin my d44 covers were compared to my Riddlers.
Then it sounds like I should upgrade, according to you.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by nthinuf
If you rarely/never change the oil, the extra magnets on the arb would be a definite plus. But as simple as these diffs are to change, no real reason to put off regular maintenance.
Well, there is a reason I put it off. I wanted to learn to do it myself instead of paying the dealership the $275 do it and still having no idea how to do it next time. Between my normal job and guns shows, I'm kinda busy.

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Post it in the Staging Area. Plenty of folks in the Spings/CastleRock/SouthDenver areas. (but you'll probably want to open it up to an install party instead of diffs only...)
Will do! I'm just not sure if my house is the best for large installs (lift kits and that sort of stuff). But I think I have most tools for everything else.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Well, there is a reason I put it off. I wanted to learn to do it myself instead of paying the dealership the $275 do it and still having no idea how to do it next time. Between my normal job and guns shows, I'm kinda busy.
Take another look at the write-up. Pics and steps for the whole process.

- remove the fill bolt, place a drain pan under the drain bolt, remove the drain bolt, let it drain, replace drain bolt, fill, replace fill bolt. Takes 10 minutes. Super easy compared to other vehicles, and easier than changing the engine oil.

Pulling the covers takes longer, of course. Good to do it just to check out the insides, but not needed if you haven't found a reason to. (off-color oil, metal shavings, etc)
Old 11-01-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is cake i did mine in rain and cold outside of my apartment one morning. One thing i suggest is using a Lube Locker. i used "Right Stuff" it works but i think the gasket would make it easier in the future.

Quick Reply: Are the ARB Diff covers worth it?