Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: The Best Diff covers are...
The ARB's are best because of the drain plug.
32.14%
The Drain plug is mostly useless. You'll end up taking the cover off anyway.
17.86%
The Brand I listed below are better.
12.50%
The Stock covers are fine. Save my cash.
37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Are the ARB Diff covers worth it?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the ARB Diff covers worth it?

Does the bottom drain plug in the ARB Differential Cover's get everything out or is it best to save the money and get covers that you have to take off to drain?

I'm a bit over due on changing my diff fluid so I'm looking to order these soon. I just don't want to waste money that can go to other mods.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotFrosty

Does the bottom drain plug in the ARB Differential Cover's get everything out or is it best to save the money and get covers that you have to take off to drain?

I'm a bit over due on changing my diff fluid so I'm looking to order these soon. I just don't want to waste money that can go to other mods.
if you want them for skids, they are worth it. if you want them just for ease of draining, i wouldnt spend the money. diff fluid doesnt need to be drained often enough to warrant the price of covers and personally, when i do drain them i also like to remove the cover to inspect things and clean it up with brake cleaner.

for a cheaper solution, check out riddler diff covers. northridge has them.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

The JK has drains built into the housing, the cover does not need to have a drain
They are nice cover tho'
Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by myklt8
The JK has drains built into the housing, the cover does not need to have a drain
Correct, the cover has nothing to do with draining.

I opted for the SOLID covers. You can never go wrong for the price of them. I also got the Lube Locker gaskets as well.

HTH

Good luck
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM
JK Junkie

Have um, Love um, I've smashed them hard a few times and they have the scars to prove it, one that might have sheared off the stock cover. The dipstick provides me with ease of use to see how the oil looks and 2 magnets instead of one keeps all tha nasty shit off of my 5.13's... I would buy them again easily. And the only real way to get everything out is to take the cover off completely....so as far as your poll goes no they don't get everything out but they come pretty damn close to it.

Last edited by fadeout; 10-29-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fadeout
Have um, Love um, I've smashed them hard a few times and they have the scars to prove it, one that might have sheared off the stock cover. The dipstick provides me with ease of use to see how the oil looks and 2 magnets instead of one keeps all tha nasty shit off of my 5.13's... I would buy them again easily. And the only real way to get everything out is to take the cover off completely....so as far as your poll goes no they don't get everything out but they come pretty damn close to it.

Love them for protection been mashed on a ton of rocks and never peeled back or had an issue. Only problem is they are easily overfilled and hard to see the fluid levels but a good cover...I like it but there are plenty of others that are comparable and less expensive. Just my
Old 10-29-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, It looks like the drain plug is not an issue. So I'll go for looks (I'm not lifted enough for them to be seen much) and price.

ARB $168.99 Look great but cost most.
Riddler $99.00 Look plain, fair price.
SOLID $65+shipping Not great looking but cheap.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout

Did they come black or did you paint them?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

just found the ARB for 145.99
Old 10-29-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm lukewarm with my SOLIDs, the fins stick out and take a pounding on the rocks and you can get occasional interference between your front track bar and front diff cover. ARBs are a tick overpriced IMO. Nice to look at, but any quality nodular iron cover will protect just as well. That leaves Riddler, the covers I'd buy had to do over again. Smooth exterior, strong, cheap. -FWIW

EDIT: something I did for fun last year

Last edited by opdsgt; 10-29-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Are the ARB Diff covers worth it?