Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB diff covers install, correct fluid amount?

Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB diff covers install, correct fluid amount?

So, Dave at Northridge hooked me up with some sweet black d44 diff covers!!!! I finally installed today, and all in all it went pretty smooth. I do question the levels that I filled them with. I recall that the norm is 1 3/8 quarts in front and 2 3/8 quarts in rear. I followed instructions according to ARB and found that 1 quart in front was to my dipstick mark and 2 quarts filled my dipstick to the right measurment in the rear. My fear is that I don't have enough, but am afraid to overfill. any advice or thoughts would be helpful. I did take it for a long freeway drive and dont suspect any issues yet. Does anyone know the exact fill amount for d44 arb? thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats exactly what I did, Im just wondering if i have enough fluid with only 2 quarts when it calls for 2 3/8.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Whatever you have for a diff cover, the important thing is to make sure the oil level is a little above the bottom of the axle tube. This will allow the oil to get to the outer axle bearings in the rear axle, and to the carrier bearings in the front axle.

Here is a pic of the oil level with the stock cover.
Bring the oil level to the same height above the bottom of the axle tube.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

looking for arb dipstick level? Can someone with d44 and ARB covers give me a measurement on arb dipsick?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by fitzb
looking for arb dipstick level? Can someone with d44 and ARB covers give me a measurement on arb dipsick?
Now that you know how high the oil is supposed to be, you can make your own dip stick.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:19 PM
JK Newbie

I also put less fluid after the arb cover install. Seems ok and it's been almost a year.

Quick Reply: ARB diff covers install, correct fluid amount?