Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB Diff Cover - ISSUE RESOLVED

Old 10-20-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have to say this mkes me nervous I jist bought an) cover from david and plan on installing before my wheeling trip this weekend. I understand and will use a breaker bar to do je instalation but I have to say this makes me realy nervous I wonder if I should have gone with the solid covers
Old 10-20-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rubican!
Well I have to say this mkes me nervous I jist bought an) cover from david and plan on installing before my wheeling trip this weekend. I understand and will use a breaker bar to do je instalation but I have to say this makes me realy nervous I wonder if I should have gone with the solid covers
My advice would be to test it before you go wheeling. That way if it does give you problems you can take your time fixing it and you are close to home.

That is what I should have done
Old 10-20-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Update

UPDATE!

It turns out that my front diff locker problem was a coincedence. Not related to the ARB cover. My dog clutch was sticking. More than one person told me the same thing which has nothing to do with the ARB cover.

Problem resolved. I'm currently running my JK Rubi with ARB diff cover(front).
My ARB diff cover for the rear diff is on its way.

I want to thank WOL, seer1 and everyone else in the forum who have tried to help me in this matter You guys are the best
Old 10-20-2008, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

well before this thread is tosed into pag3 5 status is there any advice you or anyone else would offer me on installing mine when i receive it this week i thout it was a simple install but enay tips will be apreciated i already know to use a breaker bar to get it off but anythign past that would be great.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rubican!
well before this thread is tosed into pag3 5 status is there any advice you or anyone else would offer me on installing mine when i receive it this week i thout it was a simple install but enay tips will be apreciated i already know to use a breaker bar to get it off but anythign past that would be great.
I PM'ed you some information that WOL and seer1 shared with me that really helped me understand my front diff better.

Hope it helps.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2008, 01:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jayrav
UPDATE!

It turns out that my front diff locker problem was a coincedence. Not related to the ARB cover. My dog clutch was sticking. More than one person told me the same thing which has nothing to do with the ARB cover.

Problem resolved. I'm currently running my JK Rubi with ARB diff cover(front).
My ARB diff cover for the rear diff is on its way.

I want to thank WOL, seer1 and everyone else in the forum who have tried to help me in this matter You guys are the best
My dog clutch was sticking as a result of insufficient oil. I was short by nearly half a pint. This caused some friction and wear, so as a consequence the dog clutch sticks.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jayrav
I PM'ed you some information that WOL and seer1 shared with me that really helped me understand my front diff better.
Jayrav would you mind posting this information for all of us to see.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Windrocker

Thanks
Sure:

Hey WOL!

You were right. My dog clutch was sticking. Here is my next question...how can I minimize the possiblity of this occuring again? Ask if there is a way. It can be a real PTA.

Thanks!

Jason

unfortunately, there really isn't too much that you can do. i would recommend using a high quality gear oil and be sure to change it more frequently. it would seem that the normal wearing of the gears creates enough metal filings to get things to stick up. i have also heard that adding a little friction modifier might help as well but i have not seen this for myself. with my stock cover, and a solid cover i was running before, i was able to reach the dog clutch with a small screwdriver through the fill hole and whenever i got impatient, i just opened it up and manually disengaged it.

eddie
Old 10-28-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks
Here is seer1's contribution:

My first question was about whether you used RTV or not. I'm lazy so I really prefer the Lube Locker gasket. The problem sounds more like the locker solenoid thingy (I hope I don't overwhelm you with my vast technical vocabulary) not being seated correctly or possibly that D44/carrier bearing problem.

[IMG][/IMG] It's that sideways bright metal v (y?) on the right side. If that isn't seated correctly, it'll do everything you describe. Another problem with the earlier (I think they've figured it out now) D44's was carrier bearing failure. As they fail, they start putting out metallic scraps which caused the lockers to seize up.

As far as I can tell, the ARB- D44 issues were mainly urban legend. All of the problems I've heard of first hand actually came from something else.

Hope this helps
Old 10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks
69thunderbird also helped out:

there's a pic of the proper install in my photo album

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/albu...pictureid=1677

Quick Reply: ARB Diff Cover - ISSUE RESOLVED