Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB Diff Cover - ISSUE RESOLVED

Old 06-26-2008, 11:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ARB Diff Cover - ISSUE RESOLVED

Got an email from ARB today

This from ARB

It has come to our attention that some Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon's have a
production variation associated with

the differentials. This can create an interference problem when an ARB
diff cover is installed leading to breakage of the electric actuator
solenoid assembly on the factory locker. For this reason we* do not want
the ARB diff covers fitted to any further JK Rubicon models until
further information regarding modifications can be investigated. *

*Please advise as many dealers as possible not to sell the cover for JK
Rubicons (front or rear) until further notice*. Lastly, we will be
adding warning stickers to the boxes in an effort to inform the
installer of the potential problem.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm... wonder what the "production variation" is on the rubicons... i thought a D44 was a D44 whether its on a rubi or an X.

not that this affects me, i don't like the looks of the ARB diff covers.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine for 3 months and no problems with anything. I've used my lockers twice and both times worked without hesitation. I guess I got me one 'em good product variations!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Its actually the locker sensor that is coming into contact with the cover. There have been a couple of other threads about this.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MAROONJEEP
Its actually the locker sensor that is coming into contact with the cover. There have been a couple of other threads about this.
I remember reading that thread, but when I spoke with David at Northridge, he assured me that ARB had addressed the issue and had come out with new ones that had the clearance for the locker sensors. He told me he had just received a batch of the new covers from ARB and that he would ship me the new ones. As far as I know, I got the new batch.

Am I just that naive? I feel used.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Zak

Can I ask who you talked to at ARB? I installed those covers and my locker sensor is now broken!! At the tune of 700.00 bucks!! Here's the picture of mine after installing the front cover. And I'm now waiting on a new sensor which is on backorder of course!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

What exactly does the sensor do? Does it just light up a dash light saying that you're locked? Or does it physically actuate the locker?

I'm not sure whether mine would be broken or not? How do I tell?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought mine a few months ago but have not yet installed them. I have the original D44 in the rear and a newlyinstalled Rubi D44 on the front. Should I not install these?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would urge whoever has doubts to call ARB and talk to them. This statement came out as a Reaction from two customers who are blaming the cover for there locker failure. ARB is basically CYA until they can get the Lockers in there possession and determine the problem.

I posted a thread the other day and there is plenty of Rubicon's running ARB diff covers without any problem. Also the only customers that are having problems just had there ring and pinion changed and the solenoid for the locker has been broken.

The solenoid is not supposed to move. If the solenoid is in the proper place it will not be a problem. If the locker is installed wrong or the bearing that the solenoid rides on seizes because of all the gear shavings it makes the solenoid spin and brake off.

We have plenty of experience regarding this issue and I can honestly say it is not the Cover. But with some installers around the country the Cover is the first thing they want to blame without investigating The real problem and then they call ARB demanding them to pay for a new locker.

Nobody has been "had" Sit tight and this will be resolved.

David
Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
I would urge whoever has doubts to call ARB and talk to them. This statement came out as a Reaction from two customers who are blaming the cover for there locker failure. ARB is basically CYA until they can get the Lockers in there possession and determine the problem.

I posted a thread the other day and there is plenty of Rubicon's running ARB diff covers without any problem. Also the only customers that are having problems just had there ring and pinion changed and the solenoid for the locker has been broken.

The solenoid is not supposed to move. If the solenoid is in the proper place it will not be a problem. If the locker is installed wrong or the bearing that the solenoid rides on seizes because of all the gear shavings it makes the solenoid spin and brake off.

We have plenty of experience regarding this issue and I can honestly say it is not the Cover. But with some installers around the country the Cover is the first thing they want to blame without investigating The real problem and then they call ARB demanding them to pay for a new locker.

Nobody has been "had" Sit tight and this will be resolved.

David
You da man!

Quick Reply: ARB Diff Cover - ISSUE RESOLVED