Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB diff cover installation

Old 08-16-2009, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB diff cover installation

I've done some searches and never really found a difinitive answer to a couple questions. I am getting ready to install the ARB front and rear ARB diff covers on a stock suspension 2008 Sahara. Has anyone installed these recently and had any issues with any of the suspension components rubbing on the covers with the sway bars disconnected?

Also, has anyone determined the actual fill level of these for a stock D44 and D30 (3.73). The closest I've found is 3 qts for the 44 and 2 qts for the 30. It would be cool if ARB had a listing for various vehicles on their site.

Final thought, would it be a good thread idea to list various aftermarket covers and their capacities? Since there are quite a few random threads that seem to die before the issue in answered maybe this could help.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
I've done some searches and never really found a difinitive answer to a couple questions. I am getting ready to install the ARB front and rear ARB diff covers on a stock suspension 2008 Sahara. Has anyone installed these recently and had any issues with any of the suspension components rubbing on the covers with the sway bars disconnected?

Yep, but whaddaya do? The ss bracket rubs at full right turn.

Also, has anyone determined the actual fill level of these for a stock D44 and D30 (3.73). The closest I've found is 3 qts for the 44 and 2 qts for the 30. It would be cool if ARB had a listing for various vehicles on their site.

I fill to the first mark on the dipstick. Don't actually know the amount as I had someone else do my gears along with the cover.

Final thought, would it be a good thread idea to list various aftermarket covers and their capacities? Since there are quite a few random threads that seem to die before the issue in answered maybe this could help.
Good idea!
Old 08-16-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Junkie

If you switched to a woods steering stabilizer relocation kit, do you thing it would still rub?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had to grind down some of the ARB front cover for the D30 because it was making contact with the trac bar. The trac bar is dropped which may have contributed to this.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
If you switched to a woods steering stabilizer relocation kit, do you thing it would still rub?
I think the Woods reuses the bracket attaching the ss to the tie rod. I actually have the PSC steering assist and that bracket also rubs the cover. It's not by much though and I know to expect a little vibration at full right. If you think about it, you really don't go full right or left except parking spaces at the mall. Oh yeah and on 35 point turns on cliffside u-turns.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Junkie

Have you noticed anything on the rear cover? I plan on going to a Clayton lift and wonder if I will have more issues or if it will get better once that lift is installed. I'm thinking it would never have an issue on road, but it would be rubbing all the time off road on tight trails. Is there a front cover out there that doesn't rub? There isn't much room in the front of the front diff to begin with.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

The ARB cover is one lowest profile designs available and other than stock cover the only one that will fit without rubbing when using the very tight Full Traction track bars.

So if you are worried about rubbing ARB would be your best bet.

As for your diff fluid levels, my assumption is that every Jeep will be a little different depending on your lift / control arms. I believe the proper way to determine your fluid level is to draw a straight line across your diff to both axle tubes where the line is about a half of an inch above the bottom of your axle tube.

So on my rear diff shown below, I fill to bottom of the ARB letters, which if I remember right is two lines on the dip stick. On the front I am at the 2 and a half mark on the dip stick.

Please someone correct if I am wrong cause if that aint right I am doing it wrong

Last edited by Windrocker; 08-17-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Did the question of whether the D44 ARB diff covers will work with the Rubi e-lockers ever get resolved? I really like the ARB covers, but am hesitant to order until that is answered.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glwood6
Did the question of whether the D44 ARB diff covers will work with the Rubi e-lockers ever get resolved? I really like the ARB covers, but am hesitant to order until that is answered.
Me too...

Flash
Old 08-17-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

No problems with mine. I don't know for sure there ever was a problem with them. I think it was a combination of people changing out gears at the same time as the diff cover and the locker mechanism was not being re-installed properly.

Quick Reply: ARB diff cover installation