Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB Compressor, Which One?

Old 02-03-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARB Compressor, Which One?

I just bought an ARB rear locker and now I guess I will need a compressor

So I was looking at the site and they make two.

Anyone have any experience with either and have any advice which I REALLY need.

I understand more CFM but would I actually use it, and how much could you do with either?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also Pics of where you are mounting them, or at least description would be awesome.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah, i wanna know this too.....

corey d
Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The compact compressor is only to be usec for the lockers and it works great.

the larger one has the ability to air up tires

the compact compressor is around 140 or 100 if you order a locker at the same time.

The larger compressor is around 245 plus 40 for the tire pump up kit.

we also have that compressor for 200 if you buy the locker at the same time.

hope that helps
David
Old 02-03-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

I had ARB's installed in my Sahara, I bought the hi output compressor and they installed it under my drivers seat. That keeps it out of the weather. it is also set up with a quick disconect for an air hose for tires. I run 35's and it works great to reinflate. Switches were installed on the lower daystar panel.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Well honestly i am not sure what to say. The large compressor is designed for the arb tire pump up kit.
the compact compressor is plenty big enough to operate ARB's

my suggestion is call arb and ask them but i can assure you that they will tell you what i have

David
Old 02-03-2009, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

compact isnt meant for airing tires up, like dave said. i installed the compact compressor over the weekend, i wish i had the big one but oh well, i put in a quick disco and shit so i could use it to air my tires up in a jam. with some help i had abracket fabd up by a friend and we mounted it towards the right of the engine, the bracket is screwed into the shock housing where a hole was behind the shock, if you want i can take some pics tomrow, and the switches fit perfectly between the two air returns on the center panle one on top/two on bottom
Old 02-04-2009, 04:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always go overkill. Get the HD with the tire fill kit. Some fellows called 2trackmindoffroad.com make a great bracket that bolts onto the mounting bolts of your brake master cylinder and carries the compressor between that and the motor. It's easy to reach for filling up the tires and keeps that loud SOB outta the passenger compartment.

If you're not supposed to use the HD for filling up tires then why does it come with all those cool ARB tire filling accessories?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Here you go straight from the Tech supervisor @ ARB

Hi David,
that installer would be wrong. He's probably confused the CKMA12 with the CKSA12 small compressor that we do not recommend using for tire inflation. The larger CKMA12 was designed for tire inflation duties as a #1 priority with locker operation coming along for the ride. That's why we sell the pump up kits and publish the flow rate data at 29 PSI. As it is the CKMA12 is the fastest compressor of it's size available and the only one sealed against water intrusion with a 50% duty cycle. They are very fast for their size and power consumption and are proving to be very reliable as well. Below are the links to the compressor and the specifications for output. As a side note, these specs were determined on the earliest production units and have not been updated since, but I am told that tweaks and minor changes to the units in the past 12 months actually have the numbers about 15% higher in reality. In other words, anyone who uses a CKMA12 will find the performance easily exceeds the printed specifications. Inflating 35's is simply not a problem.

Finally, we updated the pump up kit when we released this compressor as you may recall. We had to switch over to a hose that would tolerate much more heat as the higher volume of output (compressing air heats it) generated enough heat to melt the old blue hoses. We're looking forward to one of the magazines in the states doing a comparison soon as one in Aus did last year (4wd monthly if I remember correctly) and the ARB won the competition hands down against at least 10 competing compressors.

arbusa.com/Products/Compressors/19.aspx

arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/airCompressors/airCompressorTechSpecifications.pdf

Best Regards,

Marc Bowers
Tech Supervisor
Air Locker, Inc.
Renton, WA 98057

Last edited by wayoflife; 02-04-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dave you are so the man,

Now that's what I call service. Find a question, go to the man with the answer, ask it, and return with good info.

I'll say it again

Dave you the man

Quick Reply: ARB Compressor, Which One?