Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ARB Bull Bar questions

Old 12-23-2021 | 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default ARB Bull Bar questions

Just bought and installed a second hand ARB bull bar on my 2012.

Are the crush cans absolutely necessary? No matter what we tried we could not get the bolts to line up so they were installed without.

For the top lighting tabs, what lights are they designed for? I’ve got a set of 6” IPF’s I’d love to include up there but the tabs are too low to allow them to clear the bar.

Last edited by cs641; 12-23-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-23-2021 | 11:30 PM
JK Freak

I had a 4x4 shop install the same bumper on my 2012 JK in 2016. My crush cans are in place and I don't see any visible signs that they modified anything. My bumper has no air gap between the ends of the bumper and the flares. Wondering if ARB changed the design a little, it looks like the bumper ends on mine might go higher than yours do.

Last edited by bbolander; 12-23-2021 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-26-2021 | 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Interesting about the airgap! It’s possible I could lift it up further, installed it by myself without lifting help.

The ARB promo photos all show a small gap

Old 12-26-2021 | 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

The crush cans are just a bullshit version of a 5mph impact bumper system. If your inspection does not require them then turf them. I chucked mine on the front of my 2008 Mopar winch bumper.
Old 01-04-2022 | 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

The JK deluxe bumper had a change that gave more tire clearance and moved the hoop. On the inside of the bumper there should be a metal plate in the driver side corner that should have the part number. That should help you identify it.

As for the crush cans, they are designed to allow the airbags to inflate at the proper time. Without them, the message to the sensor for the bags reads the impact incorrectly and trips the bags (usually) prematurely. I've seen this happen with stubby type bumpers and home made bumpers and it can be a mess. That said, I've run without them for years.
Old 01-13-2022 | 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

I have the LOD front stinger and have no crush cans what so ever. Of course, with the stinger, whatever I hit will be down under the vehicle ( ie deer, or small car).
Just hope that never happens.

Quick Reply: ARB Bull Bar questions