Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

aprox. Labor cost for regearing

Old 08-07-2008, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aprox. Labor cost for regearing

Does anyone know what this will run? Heres what i need done, Full traction 3 " ultimate ,16" wheels / 35" tires,front and rear drive shafts,front and back gears, Im going to run out of money and have a pile of after market stuff piled in my living room soon.Is labor for all this going to go to 2 grand or more?thanks for any help,im just looking for a ball park figure on this...also a rear warn bumper with tire carrier
Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Figure between $150-$250 per axle for gear install labor. The factory driveshafts will have to be removed at least at the axle end anyway to do the gears, so they should add a significant amount to the cost.

Not sure about the lift. Maybe $500-ish? The rear bumper should be cake. You could probably tackle it yourself.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

do the lift yourself and save 75 dollars per hour i lifted both my TJ JK and XJ in the driveway with the wife, take your time it is not that difficult ...about 6-8 hours. TJ was regeared for $1200 shouldnt be nuch more for the JK
Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

do the lift and driveshaft yourself, there are plenty of writeups, it is easy, the tire mounting is relatively inexpensive 15 buck a tire, and have the gears done by a qualified shop.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Labor for gears will be around 650-800 for both axles roughly.

David
Old 08-07-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Gears: It is a 9 to 10 hr job for both axles so find out the going rate and multiply. I'm seeing variation based on location because of the hourly rate more than the correct amount of time to get the work done.

Here in Mass it's $90 per hour. Sure there are a few shops at $70 but see if they really know what they are doing. Don't bargin shop on the gears. look to make sure they have done at least one or two JKs before. A few quirks....

Driveline and lift you can do if you are patient and make sure you have the correct tools. 2 people is the best option for installation of a lift. Not all the time but a second person ready to go if you need a hand or for them to help.

Quick Reply: aprox. Labor cost for regearing