Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyway to make jeep jk handle the desert?

Old 09-18-2016, 09:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking long arm, truss both axles, c gussets, sleeves, coilovers front and rear and bump stops. I remember there was a guy on here who had a jeep on 40s and was jumping with what looked like custom aluminum long arm kit. I know independent front would be ideal but not looking to do the baja. Just it would be nice to cruise around 50 on the many flat type of areas we have around here without worrying about bottoming out.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would just look into a heavier front axle and look at bypass shocks or an IBP coil over and add hydraulic bump stops. The real key will be the amount of up travel you have and your suspension should be dialed in as far as geometry is concerned to keep the jeep running as straight as possible while the suspension is working. I would recommend at least 6" of up travel and a custom suspension that gets rid of the rear track bar. Plan on spending some time tuning the shocks and coils.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would just look into a heavier front axle and look at bypass shocks or an IBP coil over and add hydraulic bump stops. The real key will be the amount of up travel you have and your suspension should be dialed in as far as geometry is concerned to keep the jeep running as straight as possible while the suspension is working. I would recommend at least 6" of up travel and a custom suspension that gets rid of the rear track bar. Plan on spending some time tuning the shocks and coils.
It looks a lot more complicated as I have hoped it to be. Thanks for the input dirtman. So a sleeved, trussed and gusseted D44 with 35s not enough?

Only planning on 35s.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

The axle is going to be the weak point and will see the abuse from the terrain at speed. Breaking the front tube at 50 mph would be my biggest concern. Not saying you have to go full blown tons but its your jeep and you may be fine with the factory axle. Running 35's will help a lot with the up travel you need.

In addition to running at speed is the need for a full cage and restraints. Maybe a fire suppression set up like Ringer did. A roll over at speed is just scary.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 09-19-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to go that fast across the desert you will need some major work done.
Look at Jeepspeed and how most of those guys are setup to take the abuse.

Stock or most over the counter suspension will not work, you will need a coil over conversion, bypasses and\or very good bump stops.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the best, strongest, most hard core roll cage ever made. Don't die.

Quick Reply: Anyway to make jeep jk handle the desert?