Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone wish they did NOT go 5.13?

Old 01-27-2008, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sv650
Based on what I learned from digging around to create the above list, I'd consider 5.13 for an auto on 37s, and 4.88s for a 6 speed!

SV
All kidding aside, It looks like the 5:13's would be the best choice for a 37" tires and auto trans.

Would like to thank everyone for their input on this subject. It's not as easy as you would think to decide on your gear selection. There is alot to think about and a very large investment. $$ No one want's to get this wrong.

In fact Monday is my day off from work. So Monday morning I am going to stop over to the Shop doing my gears and tell them to put the 4:88's back on the shelf and set-aside the 5:13's for my install.

Last edited by boots; 01-27-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kntr
Exactly!!!!!
But I wouldn't suggest those ratios for 35s, as has been by others here!

SV
Old 01-27-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sv650
But I wouldn't suggest those ratios for 35s, as has been by others here!

SV
Whatever....
If you guys dont believe all of us with autos, 5.13's and 35's.... then have fun down shifting on the highway to hold 65 up a small hill with your 4.88's
Im done with this subject now.

Last edited by Eracer76; 01-27-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default 5.13

so i have a rubicon. the 4:1 transfercase and the 4:10 in the diff with the factory 32" m/t. i want to be a little lower geared for off road. how do you guys think 33" and 5:13 will work out, on and off road?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joeschonert
so i have a rubicon. the 4:1 transfercase and the 4:10 in the diff with the factory 32" m/t. i want to be a little lower geared for off road. how do you guys think 33" and 5:13 will work out, on and off road?

At 70 MPH on the highway you'd be turning at 3000 rpm in 6th or 2500 in O/D. Why not try it for a while by driving in a lower gear and see how you feel about it.

Your Crawl Ratio would change from 73:1 to 92:1

If you really want a lower crawl ratio, might changes to the transfer case be a better choice?

SV
Old 01-28-2008, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by boots
All kidding aside, It looks like the 5:13's would be the best choice for a 37" tires and auto trans.

Would like to thank everyone for their input on this subject. It's not as easy as you would think to decide on your gear selection. There is alot to think about and a very large investment. $$ No one want's to get this wrong.

In fact Monday is my day off from work. So Monday morning I am going to stop over to the Shop doing my gears and tell them to put the 4:88's back on the shelf and set-aside the 5:13's for my install.

Boots,

I really think you'll be happy w/ that decision, I know I was worried that it might be too much for freeway driving. After just a couple miles on the road I knew I made the right choice, not to mention now I can actually pull out into traffic without needing a 1/4 mile gap in cars .
Old 01-29-2008, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

hey guys. I went with the 5:13's and a manual trans. I have been pretty happy, still breaking them in, they feel great no whines or anything, but I wanted to get some flex to see if I needed to cut the rocker guards and pinch seam (witch I really need to do) but I had to turn on my rear locker to do it (I was in snow)...now it does not want to turn off..any idea why? Waited forever, still blinking, so I put it back in 2wd, and it still will not disengage..any ideas? Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Eracer76
It looks like the top one is the compressor and the bottom two are the front and rear lockers......they look nice
Im just wondering what is stuck on the face of his radio, it looks like the protective film from the factory

Back on topic...........the 5.13's with an auto and 35's are the only way to go IMO
Looks like a reflection of a flourescent light to me, with top down? Just a guess.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bracket
hey guys. I went with the 5:13's and a manual trans. I have been pretty happy, still breaking them in, they feel great no whines or anything, but I wanted to get some flex to see if I needed to cut the rocker guards and pinch seam (witch I really need to do) but I had to turn on my rear locker to do it (I was in snow)...now it does not want to turn off..any idea why? Waited forever, still blinking, so I put it back in 2wd, and it still will not disengage..any ideas? Thanks!
who did your install?
Take it back to them because they put it back together wrong.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I actually made a thread about this...its still acting up, but not as bad..hard to explain. I do believe that they are disengaged now, but the front locker light still blinks every once in a while, I am going to take it back this evening to have it looked at thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone wish they did NOT go 5.13?