Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone wish they did NOT go 5.13?

Old 01-26-2008, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChunksInMud
Hey Ordie, you might have seen me @ Oceana, I have done all my work at the Hobby Shop there.

I think I'll be doing 4.88s also. I'm not sure where I'm going to go for the gearing, but I can tell you it won't be ETA. When I was putting on my TF 3" lift, I had to get an adjustable front trackbar quick, and they quoted me one price over the phone and then wanted to charge me another when I was there. Bad experience.

Any recommendations for where to get gearing done?
Yeah, I have seen you. I'm working out of the Weapons School in Oceana.

Unfortunatly No. I'll pm you a local shop that says they'll do it about 400 dollars less than ETA(for Jeeps only and in the club). My only concern is the JK is new, not sure how much experience they have. ETA quoted me 2100.00 with Yukon gears. The hardware price is good but it's about 1100 in labor...pretty high.

ETA wanted about 6000 dollars for my lift and tires. It was then that I started doing all my own work. Bad experience as well, but they are the only game in town and know it.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adaycj
As a quick example at 62.5 mph there is only about 130 RPM difference between the two.

A 143 RPM difference at about 70.3 mph. The difference here is pretty small.
This is almost to the numbers what I was told by the local shop I deal with. (Ok Auto & 4wd).

But they also pointed out about the difference in pinon size between the 4:88's and 5:13's. Not to mention the size of the contact area between the two. The 4:88's having more contact area.

I am not a HARD CORE off roader so I am leaning on the side of the 4:88's for my JK. I still have about a week to decide before the install.

Just a note: I am running 37" BFG's and Auto. trans. on a 4dr Unlimited. So like the some of you I am still on the fence......
Old 01-26-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Junkie

BOOTS,
You better go with the 5:13s. I love mine. It feels like stock. You will be disappointed with 4:88s and 37s with the auto.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kntr,

Yea I know you love yours. In fact you are the one that pointed me to the 5:13's and made me re-think my 4:88's.

like I said I have about a week to make my mind up. It's very hard when your spending this kind of money and don't want to be sorry.

Have you noticed any gear noise from your 5:13's at all ?

ps:
what was your 70mph rpm with the 5:13's (in overdrive) I had written it down and can't find it

Last edited by boots; 01-26-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

5.13's period. I have 37's without adding all the weight of aftermarlet bumpers and rails.... they are great. Fells like the day i left the showroom floor with it. Motor and tranny cannot tell there are 37's on there.

Buddy has 4.88s and 35's.... drove mine and is now selling his 4.88's. Big differenc if you are adding dead weigth in accessories you dont need. Like always driving around with a couple of big dudes in the Jeep. Always feels like you have passengers when taking off.

5.13's with 35's and then put people in it, you will be happy by yourself of with a people/stuff in your Jeep.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by boots
Kntr,

Yea I know you love yours. In fact you are the one that pointed me to the 5:13's and made me re-think my 4:88's.

like I said I have about a week to make my mind up. It's very hard when your spending this kind of money and don't want to be sorry.

Have you noticed any gear noise from your 5:13's at all ?

ps:
what was your 70mph rpm with the 5:13's (in overdrive) I had written it down and can't find it
I have NO gear noise. AEV told me to go with 4:88s and I told them I wanted 5:13s. After they were done and drove my Jeep they told me the 5:13s felt a lot better with the auto and the 4:88s were better with the stick.

At 60 mph I was at about 2000 rpms with 4:11s and stock Rubicon tires. Now at 60 mph Im at about 2150 rpm. Its almost the exact same just a notch higher which is perfect on the hwy with the bigger tires and heavier bumpers. The JK cruises at 70-75mph perfectly. I took it up too 100mph no problem.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoCal_JK_2dr

What about the argument that the 5.13's are possibly weaker than the 4.88's?
They are weaker but, seriously, it isn't like we are running 300+ HP or anything. I've seen a pinion break but it was a heavily modified Trail rig with 400HP and he was climbing a boulder....well trying. Id be surprised to hear about a JK breaking one.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Eracer76
It looks like the top one is the compressor and the bottom two are the front and rear lockers......they look nice
Im just wondering what is stuck on the face of his radio, it looks like the protective film from the factory

Back on topic...........the 5.13's with an auto and 35's are the only way to go IMO

Too funny, I got busted! I still have the protective cover on the face of the radio...

OK, back on topic. He's correct, top one is the compressor and the lower two are the front and rear lockers. Well I went out with a group today here in Tucson, had a blast and the new 5.13's made a big difference! I didn't have to use the brakes on descents like before and she crawled really nice. With 37's and 5.13's and an auto I was going 60MPH (on GPS) and was turning 2000 RPM in OD. So in conclusion, I'm very happy I went with the 5.13's and would recommend them to anyone going with 37's.

Heres a couple of pics from today...

My buddy's TJ ripped the shock mount clean off the axle.

This is a guy that came down from Phoenix today and would have flipped over except his cage caught on the rock face and held him up...

Old 01-26-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, it seems that there is definately no question about the 5:13s for 37" tires. But if you are only running 35's or potentially even 34's (P305x70Rx17), are the 5:13's still the solid answer? Or, if you knew that you would never run anything larger than 35, would you stay with 4:88s? Also, is there anyone with 5:13 gears and 35's that can give us the RPM at 60mph like we have seen for the 5:13 and 37" combos? Thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is definitely no question that 5.13's are fine with 35's and an auto also.
I was actually expecting more of change when I first drove my 5.13's after driving the 4.10's on 35's for a month.....Im glad I didnt go 4.88's.
Countless people have told everyone that they love their 5.13's on 35's.
Who cares what the RPM's are at a given speed, its not like you'll be turning over 3k doing 70 mph or anything.
It changes with the wind, hills and so on, but Im somewhere around 2200-2300 rpm at 60 and about 2600-2700 rpm at 75.
Besides, everyone also reports better gas mileage with the 5.13's too...
The gears are quite when done right, and no one has broken them yet....
It also leaves the door open to go 37's if you choose to, which Im not sure I even want to do (and loose more power again)
So what more do you guys need to hear?

Quick Reply: Anyone wish they did NOT go 5.13?