Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone use Line-X on crusher flares and body armor? Any fitment issues?

Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use Line-X on crusher flares and body armor? Any fitment issues?

So instead of powdercoating my poison spyder crusher flares and body armor, I am thinking of taking it to a Line-x shop down the street. All the horror stories I have heard about powdercoat chipping and and flaking are leading me away from using it on a gir that will hit the trails. Is there any issues with fitment after the pieces are coated? I think I am more worried about how flush the body armor will be with the body. Just seeing if anyone has experience with it. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by R3PTAR
So instead of powdercoating my poison spyder crusher flares and body armor, I am thinking of taking it to a Line-x shop down the street. All the horror stories I have heard about powdercoat chipping and and flaking are leading me away from using it on a gir that will hit the trails. Is there any issues with fitment after the pieces are coated? I think I am more worried about how flush the body armor will be with the body. Just seeing if anyone has experience with it. Thanks!
I am interested in this as well.

I'm not familiar with the line-x texture though? Is it similar to what a textures bumper or rock rails would be like? Or much more "gritty?"
Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

It will cause fit issues. The coating is 1/8-1/4" thick depending on the surface. It has a textured surface that isn't gritty like some rattle can bedliners. The good part is it sands down somewhat easily with a mouse or belt sander. So if you really want it you can sand the parts to fit.

My .02 after working with most bedliners is use lineX for the tub. Stick to the cheaper rattle can liners for rocker/bumper treatments. It's much easier to respray with rattle can and look new. LineX can be fixed with flat black but the you will still see the gash in the coating texture.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used line-x on my ARB front bumper. Installation was a pain in the a** because the bolts were too short in some places due to the extra layer of line-x on top. Grinding some off helped and it took twice as long to install. In the end though it looks awesome with the line-x
Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

A gentleman I know line-x his Poison Soyder Crusher flares and he really seems to enjoy the look. He has not rubbed them against trees or rocks yet but they look really good. I myself used powder coating. I love my powder coating because it is a easy touch up process and repairs blend right in. Not quite sure if you will be able to match the texture of line-x if you need to do a repair. There is nothing wrong with powder coating either but you need to go to a reputable shop that does a good job. Many people spend the good money on flares but go cheap when it comes to putting a finish on them and that is where they get themselves into the horror stories you speak of.

Not trying to talk you out of using line-x on your fenders so don't think that. I am just looking at it from a touch up standpoint and they is why I did not do it myself.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used raptor liner on the stock fenders, front and rear aftermarket bumpers as well as my rock rails. And it turned out great bc the factory powder coating had started to chip and rust was forming at the welds. I was a little disappointed in the rancho bumpers, But i just left them on the jeep and sprayed them.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Line-x

Click image for larger version

Name:	12644945_1259537550729482_4500925709215524994_n.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	636948
Originally Posted by R3PTAR

Quick Reply: Anyone use Line-X on crusher flares and body armor? Any fitment issues?