Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone use "equal" to balance their tires?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use "equal" to balance their tires?

Has anyone used "equal" to balance their tires? Pros or cons? I am going to 35's and my tire guy says they need it!!!

Last edited by maine07jk; 05-14-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by maine07jk
Has anyone used "equal" to balance their tires? Pros or cons? I am going to 35's and my tire guy says they need it!!!
Just had new bfg km2 mud terrain 33/12.50 put on my jk. Works perfect never have to worry about slinging a weight or if ur tires are still in balance
Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

I always question when I hear "they need it", I run 35's - stickon weights not the clip on (they fall off too easily) haven't had any issues with balance.
how much do they want for "equal"
Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM....the tire shop told me the same thing when i bought my 35" Toyos so i listened to them.....nothing but problems with the equal system. They balance absolutely perfect but the problem lies in the special filtered valve cores they need to install. They malfuntioned constantly! The fine silica beads get through the filters and jam the valve from functioning properely. Go to air down and the damn things would keep deflating until i grabbed a pair of needlenose and pulled the valve shut. Equal sent me new ones and they did the same thing. I eventually had the tire shop vacuum all of the equal out and just put normal valve cores back in my stems and had them weight balance the tires....coincidently all of a sudden they were able to balance them with no issue. I am convinced this is a ploy to spped up time at the shop cause they simply throw a pack of equal into the tire, mount it and send you on your way. If anything i will try Dyna beads if i ever have trouble balancing with stick on weights as they are larger and don't require the special filtered valve cores. i have a feeling who the tire shop you are dealing with is....lol
Old 05-14-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Be better off with air soft bb's
Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used air soft bbs in mine got the 5000 count heaveyest ones and divided it into 4 dice cups works like a camp be sure you don't get the bio degradable ones though
Old 05-15-2013, 04:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM....the tire shop told me the same thing when i bought my 35" Toyos so i listened to them.....nothing but problems with the equal system. They balance absolutely perfect but the problem lies in the special filtered valve cores they need to install. They malfuntioned constantly! The fine silica beads get through the filters and jam the valve from functioning properely. Go to air down and the damn things would keep deflating until i grabbed a pair of needlenose and pulled the valve shut. Equal sent me new ones and they did the same thing. I eventually had the tire shop vacuum all of the equal out and just put normal valve cores back in my stems and had them weight balance the tires....coincidently all of a sudden they were able to balance them with no issue. I am convinced this is a ploy to spped up time at the shop cause they simply throw a pack of equal into the tire, mount it and send you on your way. If anything i will try Dyna beads if i ever have trouble balancing with stick on weights as they are larger and don't require the special filtered valve cores. i have a feeling who the tire shop you are dealing with is....lol
My buddy is the manager of the tire shop I always use and he uses Equal all the time. He said a couple of my 35's were calling for nearly a pound of weight. I know he would not screw me and make crap up. I had never heard of Equal before. I just asked him about the specific tire valve stems. He said he has never used the specific valve stems before. He has pulled the stem on them all the time to change our truck tires and has never had any of it come out. I guess I will give it a shot and see what happens.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought someone was pouring artificial sweetener into their tires
Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by maine07jk
My buddy is the manager of the tire shop I always use and he uses Equal all the time. He said a couple of my 35's were calling for nearly a pound of weight. I know he would not screw me and make crap up. I had never heard of Equal before. I just asked him about the specific tire valve stems. He said he has never used the specific valve stems before. He has pulled the stem on them all the time to change our truck tires and has never had any of it come out. I guess I will give it a shot and see what happens.
almost a pound of weight?? what wheel and tire combo are you running?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

I may have misunderstood what he said as far as weight, but I am running Procomp 7089 16'x8 wheels and duratrac 315/75/16 tires.

I have decided to try air soft BB's. I am going to add 8oz of them in each wheel and see how it goes.

Quick Reply: Anyone use "equal" to balance their tires?