Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone from the UK with 35" tires?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone from the UK with 35" tires?

Hi

I'm trying to decide on 33" or 35" tires on my new JK.

The problem I have is I've been told that in the UK I may have problems getting into supermarkets and car parks with 35" tires and a lift due to the height restrictions - what's your experience?

Also, I'm concerned about the vehicle looking out of place here in the UK 'cos we don't have many pick ups, etc. with lifts and big wheels and are generally more conservative - don't want to look like a chav!

Paul
Old 08-25-2011, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

But wouldn't the Bobbies chase you down the street and crash you about the head and shoulders with their billy clubs for violating the Queen's Laws for safe vehicle operation in her realm??

or if not...

you could install a loud speaker and as you roll down the streets of London Towne yell, "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! One nite only, meet...GRAAVEDIGGER!! and...Son of GRAAVEDIGGER!! with special musical guest...Tiffany. It's MONSTER MAYHEM!! BE THERE!!!"

Last edited by Bug Stomper; 08-25-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyberil
Hi

The problem I have is I've been told that in the UK I may have problems getting into supermarkets and car parks with 35" tires and a lift due to the height restrictions - what's your experience?

Also, I'm concerned about the vehicle looking out of place here in the UK 'cos we don't have many pick ups, etc. with lifts and big wheels and are generally more conservative - don't want to look like a chav!

Paul
CHAV...Help a yank out. What is a CHAV? I am going to be in your neck of the woods need to learn the slang
Old 08-25-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

With a 2.5 OME lift and 35's, it really shouldn't look all that crazy or tall.
Or get flat fenders with 35's.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stepsride
CHAV...Help a yank out. What is a CHAV? I am going to be in your neck of the woods need to learn the slang
CHAV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

A chav (pronounced /ˈtʃæv/ chav) is a stereotype of certain people in the United Kingdom. Also known as a charver in Yorkshire and North East England[1] "chavs" are said to be aggressive teenagers and young adults, of working class background, who repeatedly engage in anti-social behaviour such as street drinking, drug abuse and rowdiness, or other forms of juvenile delinquency.[2]
Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bug Stomper
But wouldn't the Bobbies chase you down the street and crash you about the head and shoulders with their billy clubs for violating the Queen's Laws for safe vehicle operation in her realm??

or if not...

you could install a loud speaker and as you roll down the streets of London Towne yell, "SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! One nite only, meet...GRAAVEDIGGER!! and...Son of GRAAVEDIGGER!! with special musical guest...Tiffany. It's MONSTER MAYHEM!! BE THERE!!!"
WTF

last time I checked we spoke the same language, but I don't have a clue what you wrote about
Old 08-26-2011, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

CHAV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

A chav (pronounced /ˈtʃæv/ chav) is a stereotype of certain people in the United Kingdom. Also known as a charver in Yorkshire and North East England[1] "chavs" are said to be aggressive teenagers and young adults, of working class background, who repeatedly engage in anti-social behaviour such as street drinking, drug abuse and rowdiness, or other forms of juvenile delinquency.[2]
Was wondering the same thing, for those of us to who don't speak "The Queen's English"....sounds like Chav / Charver = HOOLIGAN. Could chav also equate to Soccer Hooligan? But if lifted vehicles of any type let alone Jeeps are rare in the UK would it be because of the cost of owning one (parts/gas guzzler when compared to smaller cars) on the other side of the Atlantic? Or is lifting a vehicle/33+ inch tires that stick out to there a distinctly American thing? Like most "offroad" I've seen in Europe seems to revolve around all wheel drive Ralleys and stock looking Range Rover style safaris/exploring.

But correct me if I'm wrong but don't "Chavs" if they have the loot "French Out" their 3 cylinder automobiles?

That was the jist of my earlier comment....maybe against the law and I don't see a Monster Truck Mayhem ralley being held in a soccer stadium filled with dirt and crushed cars like arenas and football stadiums in the US like the old Astrodome in Houston Texas.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bug Stomper
Was wondering the same thing, for those of us to who don't speak "The Queen's English"....sounds like Chav / Charver = HOOLIGAN. Could chav also equate to Soccer Hooligan? But if lifted vehicles of any type let alone Jeeps are rare in the UK would it be because of the cost of owning one (parts/gas guzzler when compared to smaller cars) on the other side of the Atlantic? Or is lifting a vehicle/33+ inch tires that stick out to there a distinctly American thing? Like most "offroad" I've seen in Europe seems to revolve around all wheel drive Ralleys and stock looking Range Rover style safaris/exploring.

But correct me if I'm wrong but don't "Chavs" if they have the loot "French Out" their 3 cylinder automobiles?

That was the jist of my earlier comment....maybe against the law and I don't see a Monster Truck Mayhem ralley being held in a soccer stadium filled with dirt and crushed cars like arenas and football stadiums in the US like the old Astrodome in Houston Texas.
According to Wikipedia the US version of a chav is 'White Trash'. TBH lifting a vehicle is more of a US thing. Customisation does go on with sports cars but a lot of the people driving Range Rovers and LR3's are soccer mum's, so they're just standard vehicles.

Unless you've visited the UK it's hard to explain, a lot of the cars are boring - small eco-friendly crap. If you want a 4X4 you opt for UK or Japanese (many of these are built in UK) vehicles.

You do however get lifted 4X4's by people who off-road but a lot of these aren't road legal. I myself am buying the JK as a daily vehicle as the only places to off road near me are off road centres where the vehicles get trashed. Something I'm not prepared to do to a $55,000 vehicle, for that I would spend $2,000. Last month I did it in my 3 year old LR2 and ended up with a $2500 repair bill. I will hopefully be crossing the Western Sahara in the JK in November. Unless you have private land there are very few places to see nature and off-road, that's why i mountain bike.

Having a lifted vehicle here looks out of place - kinda like all the houses in your street are built of wood and brick but you decide to build a medieval looking castle out of stone with a moat surrounding it

Monster trucks never really took off here, although I've heard of a few events.

Here's a pic of a typical chav, not to be confused with the hoodies we had rioting in the UK a few weeks ago. And, then there's pikey's as well (That's British culture for you...'innit):

Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-ChavSitting.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	202580
Old 08-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi

Paul
35's will look great on your jk. As far as parking I run 35's and almost 4" of lift om my jku and have had no clearance issues. It fits in a standard garage just fine
Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Go with the 4 inch lift and 37's!!! Run those little go karts over!

Quick Reply: Anyone from the UK with 35" tires?