Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone tried the Banks Ram-Air Intake 3.8L

Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone tried the Banks Ram-Air Intake 3.8L

I saw an add today in JP for the new Banks Ram-Air Intake System 3.8L. After towing a small camper at highway speeds for the family vacation, SOMETHING has to be done to help throttle responce and power. I think the biggest problem with my JK is the electronic throttle responce. I've got to mash the peddle to get it to move and then getting the JK to accelerate easily without the RPM's pegging seems near impossible. It's like it lacks a happy medium. I've got an automatic Rubi.
I know the Banks system won't help the throttle, but does anyone have experience with this intake? Does it help power? I have no doubt that it improves air flow, but sometimes that dosn't help as much as one would think.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious about this too....bump.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to look into programmers. The Superchip has the tow setting for a little better pulling power. Intakes work ok, but I didn't feel much when I had an Airraid, plus I pulled it because I was afraid of it getting soaked off road.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man I just installed the Banks Ram Air Intake i have only had it on for a couple days. i havent hauled anything, I did notice a little better throttle response just riding around town. But if you just want your JK to sound a little more manly when you mash the gas definatly go for. A programmer will definatly help you for sure but this is a really nice intake.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Jedi

I'd say forget the headers....(not worth the money over stock), and get the CAI (unless you like water), a SC flaspaq, and catback exhaust. The three together will help a lot. Then if you still need more, go for the gear change.....unless you've been thinking about this already, then get the gears first and see if it does the trick for you. Regardless of what you do, the SuperChips alone, in tow mode, may be all you need.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mainejeeper
I saw an add today in JP for the new Banks Ram-Air Intake System 3.8L. After towing a small camper at highway speeds for the family vacation, SOMETHING has to be done to help throttle responce and power. I think the biggest problem with my JK is the electronic throttle responce. I've got to mash the peddle to get it to move and then getting the JK to accelerate easily without the RPM's pegging seems near impossible. It's like it lacks a happy medium. I've got an automatic Rubi.
I know the Banks system won't help the throttle, but does anyone have experience with this intake? Does it help power? I have no doubt that it improves air flow, but sometimes that dosn't help as much as one would think.
You are correct, the new system will not help the throttle. That's because your problem is not a throttle response issue.
What's the trailer weight and frontal area?
Stock gears and tires?
If you need more power for towing, (I assume you tow with O/D off), you need to regear, which will allow your engine to produce more hp.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
You may want to look into programmers. The Superchip has the tow setting for a little better pulling power. Intakes work ok, but I didn't feel much when I had an Airraid, plus I pulled it because I was afraid of it getting soaked off road.
The best bang for your buck is the Superchips Flashpaq. I too have an Airaid CAI and it did make a difference at first, but then the computer re-adjusted. Ihe Stock MAP system can't accommodate for a CAI. BUT, with a quality programmer like the Flashpaq it can. I should have bought the Flashpaq first instead of vice verse. Live and learn...
Old 10-04-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Diddo on the Ripp SC... the only way to go if you need more power.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have done the Hypercharger. Would the Banks CAI make any difference? I put one on my TJ and gained about a mile to the gallon.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the banks and the 6 speed. I love it....

Quick Reply: Anyone tried the Banks Ram-Air Intake 3.8L