Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone running an ls swap in salt lake county

Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running an ls swap in salt lake county

I am interested in doing an ls swap and tring to decide on the engine. Also I was told it is hard to get the emissions passed. Wondering if anyone has had to do an emission and smog test.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the company that does outstanding work on LS swaps is Motech in Las Vegas. And they also have a branch in SoCal. They handle all the emissions related stuff to make sure you are legal in your State. Look up their website.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Talked to them last year and as long as you run their exhaust system (around $2,000) it will pass emissions is what I was told.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished my LS 5.3 V8 with a 6L80 transmission - all sourced w/kit from Motech in Vegas.
i had a local shop do the work here in PA. I passed emmisions test we have in this state/county.

I chose the 5.3 because:

edit: I have 4.88 gears w/ 35" tires. Therefore @ 70mph i'm at 2,350 rpms in 6th gear. Motech recommends @ this speed engine should be at 2,000 rpms. Either i need to regear to 4.10 or put 37"s on.

Good choice with LS - have fun deciding between 5.3 and 6.2. all depends on what you want to do with your Jeep.
    Ask Robbie @ Motech for John Gobbels contact info in Alabama. He has the 6.2L and his Jeep is awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130528_163628_452.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	470256Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130528_163600_418.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	470257

Last edited by ridelots24; 06-21-2013 at 05:28 AM.
    Old 06-21-2013, 06:39 AM
    JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies.

So I talked to motech and he said he could do the 5.3 or the 6.0 for close to the same price. Because the 6.0 isn't as in demand. Still unsure what engine. I would like the 6.2 but at 20k i would probably get a slap from the wife if I'm lucky. He then told me that salt lake county has become very strict over the last year or so and that it would be very difficult to pass and that I would need to work with the salt lake emission board directly. He also said that it can be done but at a steeper price.

Is this something you would just do and then see if it passes or take in documentation pictures and descriptions of everything done up front.

If there is anyone in salt lake county with an ls conversion please chime in.
    Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 AM
    JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roscoj
    Thanks for the replies.

So I talked to motech and he said he could do the 5.3 or the 6.0 for close to the same price. Because the 6.0 isn't as in demand. Still unsure what engine. I would like the 6.2 but at 20k i would probably get a slap from the wife if I'm lucky. He then told me that salt lake county has become very strict over the last year or so and that it would be very difficult to pass and that I would need to work with the salt lake emission board directly. He also said that it can be done but at a steeper price.

Is this something you would just do and then see if it passes or take in documentation pictures and descriptions of everything done up front.

If there is anyone in salt lake county with an ls conversion please chime in.
    Wouldn't it be the same as testing a Chevy Silverado pickup there?

Quick Reply: Anyone running an ls swap in salt lake county