Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

anyone running a 385 width tire ?

Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default anyone running a 385 width tire ?

need some advice , fixin to go big on tires and get some 385/70/16 toyo mts . not worried so much with articulation as most of my wheelin is mud and trails . i have trimmed fenders with no inner support , a 2.5 lift and trimmed pinch seams .'currently running 35s . the width is what im worried about as this is a 15 wide . i have a stubby front soon to be xrc and no skid plate . a tape measure and eyeball says it will be ok but just wondered if anyone runs this width tire . besides maybe adjusting turn stops what else ? and yes if the dana 30 breaks ill deal with it . thanks peeps
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, that's wide! And I thought my 355/60-20 Nitto Terra Grapplers (on my Ram 2500) were wide!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

anybody ? only pics i can find is on pickup trucks
Old 03-06-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by carolinajk
anybody ? only pics i can find is on pickup trucks
There's a reason for that.

Just out of curiosity why would you want tires that size?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen it in person. Personally I do not like the look the tires are way too short to be that wide. Just my opinion.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you never turn or flex like you stated there should be no issue at all. I mean I value both of those things in my rig but that is all personal preference I guess. If I were you I would probably be more worried about my ball joints, flanges, C's bending, and front pinion ripping my front diff apart. Im guessing you are trying to gain float in mud with tires that wide?? You will be all over the place with those big things which sooner or later you may need something like a Hydro assist as well. Good luck with the build hopefully you work out what you are looking for.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

those might be good for deep water crossings as they might act like pontoons
Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I currently have a 2.5 suspension lift with trimmed pinch seams, stubby front and rear bumpers with my 37x13.5s on wheels with 4.5 backspacing. These tires were rubbing my frame on the front at full turn either way... I put five washers on each steering stop and although my turning radius sucks they do not rub. I think that if you really wanted to run tires that wide, your looking at 1.5 in wheelspacers and 3.75 backspacing on the wheels. Like someone said above, theres a reason why your only seeing them on pick ups.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
There's a reason for that.

Just out of curiosity why would you want tires that size?
like i said not a hardcore rockcrawler , mainly mud and trails i like the look of fat tires and they measure almost 38 tall , dont look out of proportion at all . the ball joints and steering ill deal with if and when it happens . thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by carolinajk
need some advice , fixin to go big on tires and get some 385/70/16 toyo mts . not worried so much with articulation as most of my wheelin is mud and trails . i have trimmed fenders with no inner support , a 2.5 lift and trimmed pinch seams .'currently running 35s . the width is what im worried about as this is a 15 wide . i have a stubby front soon to be xrc and no skid plate . a tape measure and eyeball says it will be ok but just wondered if anyone runs this width tire . besides maybe adjusting turn stops what else ? and yes if the dana 30 breaks ill deal with it . thanks peeps
I ran 38x15.5x18's Nitto Muds on my last jeep, wheels were 18x10's with a 4.5" backspacing. Never rubbed anything at anytime. I will be running a similar set up on this new rig as well!

Quick Reply: anyone running a 385 width tire ?