Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone running 35s on stock gears...

Old 12-24-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35's with 3.73

i have not yet rear geared. in town it's not to bad. but on the highway it is absolutely horrable. she is always hunting for more gear. i have to run with the overdrive off on the highway. i plan on going to a 5.13 gear about the middle of this year.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:04 AM
-

Rubicon stock gears 4.1 on 35" with auto trans, only above 85mph on highway it shifts back to third gear, but I didn't expect better, its not a Mustang... I won't touch gears !!!
Old 12-24-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

With the 6-speed, 35's, and the 4.10 gears it is great for all around use if you do any commuting on the interstate.
With the Flashpaq, and 15K on the engine, I have shelved my plans to regear.
If I lived in a more mountainous area, I'd probably feel different, but here in eastern Georgia, with rolling hills, the occaisional downshift to 5th isn't a problem.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

I ran stock 4.10's in my 07 Rubi for 1.5 years with no problems.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

What planman says above is largely true. Maybe this is what I should have said to the OP:

I was wondering the same thing before I did the build. What if running 35's with my 3.73 gears is a disaster? What I can tell you is, with a manual transmission, it feels just fine to me, I am very happy with my jeep just as it is. However, the consensus seems to be that those who truly know what they're talking about clearly say that 3.21, 3.73, or even 4.10 are not correct gear ratios for tires as large as 35 inches and that you should plan to regear, preferably to 5.13 or lower. Since I haven't changed out my own gears, all I personally can tell you is that I completely agree tha you should get the 35's first and see what you yourself think. Whew, my thumbs are tired now....
Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman
That is a great post docpanama.

"Is it a disaster?" would be a better question.

It isn't a disaster. I ran that way for 6 months (35s and 4.10s with a 2 dr 6 speed). It wasn't a disaster. It sucked wheeling in the rocks. It sucked driving 5% freeway grades at 5000 feet above sea level. My gas mileage on the highway/freeway dropped substantially, but with a performance tune, it was bearable. It just felt similar to towing around a 2k lbs trailer on stock gears and tires all the time.
x3 ...If I could do it all over again, regearing would have been my first choice VS all my other performance mods...It has been said that the best RPM range for the JK is around ~2-3k RPM...The JK is already a slug in stock form and adding bigger tires only amplifies the situation & yes it's not a sport car, but it should still be able to pull its own weight...I was running 33s on the 3.73 gearing and wasnt too happy with the driveability....IMHO we can find all sorts of justification/reasons for not regearing just yet or not at all, but take it from those that did regear, it does make the JK perform & drive a lot better....

Last edited by aldaman; 12-24-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
That is a great post docpanama.

"Is it a disaster?" would be a better question.

It isn't a disaster. I ran that way for 6 months (35s and 4.10s with a 2 dr 6 speed). It wasn't a disaster. It sucked wheeling in the rocks. It sucked driving 5% freeway grades at 5000 feet above sea level. My gas mileage on the highway/freeway dropped substantially, but with a performance tune, it was bearable. It just felt similar to towing around a 2k lbs trailer on stock gears and tires all the time.
Yeah, 35s aren't great with stock gears. You had 4.10s, ha! I have 3.21s. It is bearable so long as I don't use 6th gear on the highway. I actually get better gas mileage that way too, strange as that may seem. On rocks, its no good, but off road I've been able to hold my own for the most part. I also have open diffs, so it can be challenging at times. I always seem to have fun though and thats what counts.

Anyway, within the next year I am planning on adding 5.13s or 4.88s in my D30. Yeah, a D30. Been working great so far...just not sure if I should wait until I can afford lockers as well and do both at the same time, or regear and add the lockers at a later date. What say you all?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

Like Planman said, if you live in mountainous country or at higher elevations, I think a regear would be a necessity with larger tires. If you live in the flatlands, stock gears may be acceptable to some.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

running auto with 3.73 gears. Hate it, going to regear asap. And only getting 11 mpg right now. All I can say is REGEAR....or you won't be happy.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I was doing bad with 3.73's and 35's....have you recalibrated your speedo? What size tires?
I get about 14-16 mpg, and I really need to regear!

Originally Posted by frankie945
running auto with 3.73 gears. Hate it, going to regear asap. And only getting 11 mpg right now. All I can say is REGEAR....or you won't be happy.

Quick Reply: Anyone running 35s on stock gears...