Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone running 35"x14.5"x16" Nitto Mud Grapplers?

Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by revolucion!
1. can i put these on w/no lift and have no issues?
2. can i put these on w/out regearing and have no issues?
3. if i get a 16" rim w/4.5" backspacing, can i avoid buying spacers (these tires are fatazzz!)
1. 35x12.5's with no lift will rub a lot, so if they are 14.5 wide, I'm going to say you wouldn't be able to turn a corner without rubbing. Even with spacers...

2. If you have a rubi or anything with 4.10's, you can probably make do on 35's, but it will be a dog. Some of the guys with 6-speeds make it work, but 14.5 is going to have a lot of rolling resistance and be really heavy. Will it move? yes. Will it be pleasant? Probably not.

3. DiscountTire's post indicated that you could make it work with 4.5" backspacing, so I'd assume if you follow his recommendations you'd be OK.

Not a lot of people running that fat of rubber without some serious mods. I'd say if you have a d30 in the front, you'd get an opportunity to replace it with a D44 pretty quickly.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

MOWrangler!

You just talked me out of a good deal. the line where u said "w/out some serious mods" was what made it for me. i'm gonna opt out of this deal as i just can't afford to do too many mods @ once. i guess i should have posted what kind of jeep i have and what gears

2008 STOCK wrangler sahara unlimited
6spd
3.21's

thanks for the science behind it, they'd look cool tho. but at an expense...thanks again!

Last edited by revolucion!; 07-03-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I've been kicking around new tires myself, but I decided it was cheaper and more logical to start with a small lift. To think about it, the 32's we have on our rigs now are quite a bit larger than what came standard on previous generations. I remember when 31x10.5's was an upgrade.

If you wanna get some big shoes, you're going to need to start with a lift anyway. Unless you go with a big lift, the factory rubber doesn't look TOO bad. Now... how long it lasts or traction off road... that is a whole different story!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
I've been kicking around new tires myself, but I decided it was cheaper and more logical to start with a small lift. To think about it, the 32's we have on our rigs now are quite a bit larger than what came standard on previous generations. I remember when 31x10.5's was an upgrade.

If you wanna get some big shoes, you're going to need to start with a lift anyway. Unless you go with a big lift, the factory rubber doesn't look TOO bad. Now... how long it lasts or traction off road... that is a whole different story!
u may be right. i've seen pics of people running 2"-2.5" lift w/stock shoes/rims. w/the 32's on a sahara it's bearable and not THAT bad looking. i have stock 32" b/stone duellers.

are u saying that the lift will wear my tires quicker? now if this is true, this IS a whole different story!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by revolucion!
are u saying that the lift will wear my tires quicker? now if this is true, this IS a whole different story!
Nope... just saying the stock goodyears that come on an X are pretty crappy. A lift shouldn't significantly change your tire wear on a straight axle vehicle. If you have a car suspension with Independent front axles (like an FJ or liberty), then you have to do an alignment but they still shouldn't wear TOO bad.

With our REAL suspensions, tires shouldn't wear much different at all when you lift 'em.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MOWrangler

With our REAL suspensions, tires shouldn't wear much different at all when you lift 'em.
nice...thanks again for your advice!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is there still no one riding on some 35x14.5x16?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Junkie

Call me out if im wrong but I thought Nitto only offered that in a 15" wheel I had the 13.50 on my XJ and it struggled on the hwy with that 14.50 is going to kick your arse

Heres Nitto's size chart
http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Eti...appler%2Esizes

Last edited by NTXJK; 04-06-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LAHAL
Is there still no one riding on some 35x14.5x16?
with pics please...

I want some wide tires. I may just go with 33 x 14.5. I was looking for 15.5 but I think that may be too wide. ( but I would like the look )
Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NTXJK
Call me out if im wrong but I thought Nitto only offered that in a 15" wheel I had the 13.50 on my XJ and it struggled on the hwy with that 14.50 is going to kick your arse

Heres Nitto's size chart
http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Eti...appler%2Esizes
I'm running 35x14.5x16 mud graps on my truck

Quick Reply: Anyone running 35"x14.5"x16" Nitto Mud Grapplers?