Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

anyone with a Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default anyone with a Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel?

Im interested in the Rugged Ridge snorkel, but would like feedback from anyone that has installed or is currently using it. How did the install go? What's the quality like?
Thanks,
Nathan
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-312503755.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	438662

Attached a few pictures for you to take a look at the snorkel.

I love it. The install instructions are very detailed. Just follow them and you'll be okay. There is one section where you need to seal the tube to the air box - just do it outside of the jeep and don't use a lot of sealant. Someone used too much rtv sealant and it ended up acting as a lubricant.

Some others have had complaints about how shitty the airbox clamps are but overall I am impressed with the kit and how it is out together. Like I said, the instructions are very detailed.

I also like that you can return the jeep to stock easily. The cowl just goes back in place so no cutting on your hood. There is however small trimming inside the fender area of the jeep but nothing big at all.

I also had a cold air intake before this snorkel and I can say I gained about 80km to a tank after installing the snorkel . I'm not saying this will happen for everyone but I can say it did for me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2862744562.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	438663
Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered mine yesterday Rugged Ridge had it in the mail the same day and I'm getting it NTL COB monday!! I'm so pumped to get this!! I might take a personal "cough" "Cough" "Cough" I feel Jeep MOD fever coming on strong tuesday...
Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed mine about 2 weeks ago.

The quality is good and the install is easy, just takes 4 hours.

There are some things you should know.

When it tells you to paint this area, do it. Don't look at it and say I'll do it later......

Take your time trimming the fender. I got in a hurry and dinged the paint on the outside of the fender.

The fender where you take the cowl off isn't painted. Have spray touch up in your color to paint it.

There is a small, 1/2" space next to the air scoop in front of the windshield when you are done. It annoyed me and I filled it with a length of fuel line cut and trimmed to fit.

Now dirt/mud doesn't get in there and look like crap.

I really like the idea that I don't have the top mount on all the time as it blocks the view a little and looks like .......

My 3 cents, due to inflation.....
Old 06-24-2013, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DadsCJ
Installed mine about 2 weeks ago.

The quality is good and the install is easy, just takes 4 hours.

There are some things you should know.

When it tells you to paint this area, do it. Don't look at it and say I'll do it later......

Take your time trimming the fender. I got in a hurry and dinged the paint on the outside of the fender.

The fender where you take the cowl off isn't painted. Have spray touch up in your color to paint it.

There is a small, 1/2" space next to the air scoop in front of the windshield when you are done. It annoyed me and I filled it with a length of fuel line cut and trimmed to fit.

Now dirt/mud doesn't get in there and look like crap.

I really like the idea that I don't have the top mount on all the time as it blocks the view a little and looks like .......

My 3 cents, due to inflation.....

I agree with all the above. Took me over 4 hours but wasn't bad. My opinions and advice:

1. Get oversized washers for the airbox bolts. Mine pulled inside the rubber grommets.

2. Have someone with small hands available to get the screws for the hood part to mount to the Z-bracket. My big old hands couldn't get the bracket to hold from below.

Love the low profile look too!

Quick Reply: anyone with a Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel?