Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

anyone not running a rear sway bar?

Old 04-20-2020, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default anyone not running a rear sway bar?

Anyone daily driving without a rear sway bar?
Old 04-20-2020, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Why do you want rid of it? They are such a small diameter that they do not add too much stiffness to body roll functions. If you remove it you will find your Jeep understeers a little more on the highway.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Why do you want rid of it? They are such a small diameter that they do not add too much stiffness to body roll functions. If you remove it you will find your Jeep understeers a little more on the highway.
I’m moving the rear end back probably another inch, and relocating the sway bar mount will mean I will need to do something with my exhaust, and frankly, I’d rather not. I’ve run several cars without rear sway bars, I mean some cars don’t even come with them, so I was curious if anybody runs without it. Just curious if the difference is very noticeable.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yea, it works just fine. I can do 90 on the highway no issues. Definitely felt better when I went with adjustable shocks though. I'll just crank them up a bit before the highway.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Worst case is you take it off and decide you want it back. You can get small mufflers that fit right there in the factory location as well. I have a cheap $35 Thrush Welded muffler from Advanced Auto and it's been great for 4.5 years or so now. Muffler shop will mount something like that for ~$40 with some new pipe bent. Only suggesting that you don't have to spend hundreds on some fancy exhaust. You should do this anyhow, but just make sure your brake lines are long enough for whatever your max articulation is to be on the safe side.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Worst case is you take it off and decide you want it back. You can get small mufflers that fit right there in the factory location as well. I have a cheap $35 Thrush Welded muffler from Advanced Auto and it's been great for 4.5 years or so now. Muffler shop will mount something like that for ~$40 with some new pipe bent. Only suggesting that you don't have to spend hundreds on some fancy exhaust. You should do this anyhow, but just make sure your brake lines are long enough for whatever your max articulation is to be on the safe side.
Thanks, I may do something like that, we will see. I do have extended and reversed brake lines, so shocks will be the limiting factor. If I need to add limit straps at some point, I will. I assumed road manners wouldn't be that bad. I mean, I've driven short term with the front disconnected and it's been perfectly manageable, so I just wanted to confirm.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

when you move that rear end back, just be prepared for your rear springs to look kinda banana'ish. The little wedges that sit in the axle-side perch help a bit. better solution is repositioning the spring perches, but that means chopping em off and either welding on new, or getting some universal ones that attached with u-clamps. It's not the end of the world....you might lose just a smidge of lift in the process.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
when you move that rear end back, just be prepared for your rear springs to look kinda banana'ish. The little wedges that sit in the axle-side perch help a bit. better solution is repositioning the spring perches, but that means chopping em off and either welding on new, or getting some universal ones that attached with u-clamps. It's not the end of the world....you might lose just a smidge of lift in the process.
Thanks, as long as it doesn't cause any issues with the coil unseating, I'm not too worried about how it looks.

Quick Reply: anyone not running a rear sway bar?