Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone near Frederick, Maryland experienced with installing new gears?

Old 07-25-2016, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone near Frederick, Maryland experienced with installing new gears?

I will be installing a lift and 37" tires this weekend and would also like to upgrade my gear ratio on my 2016 JKU to 4.88s. I would prefer to work on it with someone who is experienced so I can gain the knowledge as paying a shop to do it doesn't provide much benefit to me.

Anyone out there able to help me with this?
Old 07-26-2016, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

How mechanically inclined are you? Because it's a total pain in the ass, that you have to do twice... Honestly, if I was going to do it again, I'd just pay someone.

My only other suggestion is if you are sticking with 37s, go bigger than 4.88s. I'm running them on 35s with a manual trans. Might want to bump to 5.13 or 5.33s.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by (none)
How mechanically inclined are you? Because it's a total pain in the ass, that you have to do twice... Honestly, if I was going to do it again, I'd just pay someone.

My only other suggestion is if you are sticking with 37s, go bigger than 4.88s. I'm running them on 35s with a manual trans. Might want to bump to 5.13 or 5.33s.
I am more inclined with installing bumpers, fenders, lighting, etc. I do have a shop that I could most likely use but they are more geared towards drag cars so no one really knowledgeable on doing a gear swap on a jeep so hesitant to ask them for help.

I considered 5.13 but have been reading that if I'm not going to be carrying as much weight then to stick with 4.88. I don't usually carry a spare unless I'm going on a decently long trip or if I'm offroading. Also I've cut down on weight a little with aluminum fenders. I will definitely look into it more between 4.88 and 5.13, just wouldn't want to get more then I might need.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kwhiteUSF
I am more inclined with installing bumpers, fenders, lighting, etc. I do have a shop that I could most likely use but they are more geared towards drag cars so no one really knowledgeable on doing a gear swap on a jeep so hesitant to ask them for help.

I considered 5.13 but have been reading that if I'm not going to be carrying as much weight then to stick with 4.88. I don't usually carry a spare unless I'm going on a decently long trip or if I'm offroading. Also I've cut down on weight a little with aluminum fenders. I will definitely look into it more between 4.88 and 5.13, just wouldn't want to get more then I might need.
Drag cars rear ends will be essentially the exact same. It's all about having the correct tools, setting the backlash and the preload. All of the same things apply to a car as well, so they should be really good for it.

Only advice I can give as far as choosing the gearing is to search around and see what others have ran, that's what I did. You really won't find anyone saying they choose too high of a gearset, only some people saying they chose they picked a higher gearset.

I'm at around 2600-2700rpm at 70 mph with my setup. Stock rubicon with 32s and 4.10s is around 2500. You'd be, with 37s and 4.88s, at the "stock" gearing, so around 2500rpm. That is fine, but the 37s weigh a lot more than the 32s. The weight of the jeep isn't as big a factor as the weight of the rotating components. Drive on the highway with a lower gear to simulate the different gearing and see how it feels. If you can stand it on the highway, the rest is easy.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would pay someone to re-gear if you do not know exactly what you are doing. It can be expensive if you mess things up. Also, I would stay with 4:88's if most of your driving is on-road. I have several friends running 5:13's and while it's good off-road, they do not enjoy the high RPMs on the highway. I don't recall if Frederick is mountainous but if so, that may be a consideration for 5:13's, although I know many people in Colorado run 4:88's in the mountains. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey... First off, you are right on the money with 4.88s. Second, I'm with you on wanting to learn the process. Did my own gears 2 years ago and now can't imagine ever paying someone to do it. The knowledge you gain pays dividends. We have many experienced folks down in Southern Maryland if you are willing to travel a bit. We also have all of the specialty tools for doing the job. Shoot me a PM if you are interested and I can get you hooked up with the gear experts down here.

Quick Reply: Anyone near Frederick, Maryland experienced with installing new gears?