Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone make a telescoping bar for a rear bumper light?

Old 01-26-2014, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone make a telescoping bar for a rear bumper light?

Hello all,

Has anyone tried building or buying (if available) a telescopic bar for a rear light? I've seen Jeeps on the forum with one rear light mounted above the rear tire...

What I am thinking of is having this bar attached to the rear tire carrier somehow but also be telescopic. Even if it only raises up a few feet higher, when the tailgates open and your setting up camp, cooking, etc.. I could adjust the light to point wherever and it would perform much better then being lower.

Problems I see, where I am we get a load of salt and road grim that muck up joints and seize most things up anytime besides couple months in summer. So since its not going to be extended every other day, more like once a month or so I'm worried it will seize up or rust after its first use and end up being pointless. I've looked around at options but can only find hiking poles, large commercial light booms and variations of those two.

Anyone have ideas on tackling this project?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2014, 10:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe one of those poles you use to change high light bulbs? That extends from like 6 feet to 18 feet. Made of plastic so it wouldn't rust. Cheap. Won't be heartbroken if it gets destroyed on the trail.

Just brainstorming
Old 01-26-2014, 10:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just a few lengths of PVC pipe to fit inside each other with a clevis pin or bolt and some holes drilled.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Not a bad idea actually. Functionality wise that would work, just not too big on having PVC pipes attached to it as I use it as a DD as well ... I wonder if there are thin walled pvc type tube materials that I could put between two steel pipes to make it work. Kind of like a solid 'lube' between them to prevent rust. Problem is getting the sizes to be perfect, kind of doubtful
Old 01-27-2014, 12:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Not a bad idea actually. Functionality wise that would work, just not too big on having PVC pipes attached to it as I use it as a DD as well ... I wonder if there are thin walled pvc type tube materials that I could put between two steel pipes to make it work. Kind of like a solid 'lube' between them to prevent rust. Problem is getting the sizes to be perfect, kind of doubtful
What height does it really need to be?

wouldnt a light like a rigid d2 mounted on top of one of the rear brake lights, on some sort of swivel do the trick?

i have on d2 diffused, mounted on top of the drivers side brake light/blinker light module and it tied right into the reverse light circuit...

I've found plenty of other uses for it, you can already pivot it up and down with the factory bracket so if you could add a way to swivel it, you'd be able to illuminate a good size area.

plus that is with just one d2, it comes in other patterns, but for a backup light I find diffused to be the best pattern.

matthew
Old 01-27-2014, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't have an set height it needs to be, more the better

I want to keep it within reason, not looking to make a 15' boom out of the back of the Jeep, just a couple feet would do or the length from the top of the tire to the bottom of the tire carrier. Any height gained is more light shining down instead of coming out at head height. Kind of like a street lamp vs head lamp idea.

Last resort is as you mentioned, just mounting a light on a swivel.

I do have driving lights mounted inside my housing to replace the reverse lights so reverse lights are not an issue, also have 2 VisionX LED cubes in the rear bumper for light. But, what I am trying to accomplish is more so the downward ambient camp light then throwing light backwards ... if that makes sense?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

expandable painters pole with a coiled cell phone charger line down the middle of the pole. mount light on topand wire in. the coiled wire keeps it tidy. the painters pole has a locking system on the expander so you can set the height and it wont be a pita
Old 01-27-2014, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default id go with a mic stand

it has the telescope black and its threaded at top where you screw the mic clip on and lower part too but it would accept your light with a threaded coupling reducer or what ever just dont piss of the lead singer with out tossing him a carrot [ATTACH]526904
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bugs004colored.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	526904  
Old 01-27-2014, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Wally World aka walmart and autozone sell these telescoping rv wash brush. Priced between 10-30 dollars depending what length you buy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1117922676.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	526909

They measure about 3.5 feet collapsed and 8.5 feet extended. Should hold up well since it's aluminum, their pretty thick aluminum pipe. Oh and the brush head bolts on to a flat plastic base that I'm sure you can modify to hold a light. Maybe you can find a way to run the wire down through the pipe.. Now you got my gears turning.. Lol
Good luck
Augi
Old 01-27-2014, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Here's an idea I found...

Paint Pole LED Camp Light | Expedition Utah

Quick Reply: Anyone make a telescoping bar for a rear bumper light?