Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone Make Aluminum Skid Plates

Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think an aluminum skid would be fine up front, not much there to destroy, but i wouodn't put one under the bellie to protect anything expensive, nor would i put one close to moving parts
Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh man, I LOVE steel vs aluminum fights.

You always get the blah blah, "steel is..." followed by "aluminum is so light...."

Always so funny.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My H1 had aluminum skid plates.....never had any real issues with them but then again I never took my H1 the same places I take my Rubi.... You can see them attached to the bottom of the floor boards. Bars in the center are steel.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dang, that thing has some SERIOUS traction hanging upside down like that.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-linux
Dang, that thing has some SERIOUS traction hanging upside down like that.
I like to call it "Driver Skill!!"
Old 02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sn4cktime
Oh man, I LOVE steel vs aluminum fights.

You always get the blah blah, "steel is..." followed by "aluminum is so light...."

Always so funny.
It isnt half as funny to watch this as it is to watch people get thier panties in a wad over....

synthetic vs. dino.

or the 3.8L vs. 4.0

Old 02-04-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

All depends on design. Most of what you see driving down the road is 6061 aluminum. We manufacture aluminum for a diverse field. Most all coiled steel is transported on all aluminum trailers. It is all in the design. We can extrude up to 11" diameter and max of 14" wide 2" thick and make properties. Temper will determine how how much it will elongate before fracturing. I think it is possible but would want it designed in self mating segments so you can replace a section that you damage cheap as an extrusion. If you have ever seen a piece of eqiupment dropped onto an aluminum trailer you would understand.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Chromoly:

Chrom- Chromium

moly- Molybdenum

Say it with me

C-h-r-o-m-o-l-y

Very good

Chromium (pronounced /ˈkroʊmiəm/) is a chemical element which has the symbol Cr and atomic number 24. It is a steely-gray, lustrous, hard metal that takes a high polish and has a high melting point. It is also odourless, tasteless, and malleable. Chromium was named after the Greek word "Chrōma" (χρωμα) meaning color, because of the many colorful compounds made from it.[1

Molybdenum (pronounced /məˈlɪbdənəm/, from the Greek word for the metal "lead"), is a Group 6 chemical element with the symbol Mo and atomic number 42. It has the eighth-highest melting point of any element. It readily forms hard, stable carbides, and for this reason it is often used in high-strength steel alloys. Molybdenum is found in trace amounts in plants and animals, although excess molybdenum can be toxic in some animals. Molybdenum was discovered in 1778 by Carl Wilhelm Scheele and first isolated in 1781 by Peter Jacob Hjelm.

41xx steel is a family of high-strength low-alloy (HSLA) steels, as specified by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Alloying elements include chromium and molybdenum, and as a result these materials are often referred to as chromoly steel, or cro-mo, or CRMO. They have an excellent strength to weight ratio, are easily welded and are considerably stronger and more durable than standard 1020 steel.

While these grades of steel do contain chromium, it is not in great enough quantities to provide the corrosion resistance found in stainless steel.

Examples of applications for 4130 include structural tubing, bicycle frames, AK-47 receivers, clutch and flywheel components, and roll cages. They are also used in aircraft and therefore 41xx grade structural tubing is sometimes referred to as "aircraft tubing".

Go wikipedia go!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
And as for Chromoly which is what started this path. Chromoly stands for Chromium alloy. It has been associated with a specific combination of steel and chromium... but it still just means a chromium alloy.
*sigh*

As mentioned above...

Chrom- Chromium

moly- Molybdenum

It has NEVER stood for chromium alloy. Its a very specific alloy that has no aluminum in it.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuck45
Before you get all workd up about aluminum skid plates find a nice big plate of aluminum and then grab a nice big sharp edged rock and drag it across the aluminum. Stuff that slides on steel digs into aluminum and becomes difficult to slide. I have an 3/16 aluminum liner on the inside of my tailgate; it is a bitch to load anything as everything seems to drag and stick. My old PU had 1/8 of steel on the tailgate and worked out great.

I'd worry less about the wt of steel skids as the wt is down low. Now wt up high like the Range Rover (and seemingly FJCruiser) guys are doing on roof racks worries the dickens out of me.
Blah blah.....what he said. Aluminum is sticky when trying to grind across. All those that bike, blade & skateboard know what I ma talking about when you hit that rail and stopped dead, then crack your head open. Steel is the way to go.

Quick Reply: Anyone Make Aluminum Skid Plates