Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone Make Aluminum Skid Plates

Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baseball bats and skid plates - two things that probably should NOT be aluminum.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

yeah, Ok... I can't remember the technical name of the alloy... But it contains steel, aluminum, and chromium. I know folks in my team called it Chromoly, even though true chromoly is nothing more than steel/chromium alloy. In fact, anything with Chromium got that label. If you want me to be technical about it I can...

Chromium is stronger than steel but is very brittle... mixed with steel it provides excellent strength. But, the weight savings is minimal. Combine it will aluminum, you get a light alloy that is strong. Chromium bonds with both Steel and Aluminum so you don't have to worry about a galvanic reaction. Other materials that allow aluminum to play nice with steel include zinc and brass.

There are so many different alloys out there with the purpose of adding a traits to the material at and. Aluminum is very ductile. That is why electronic boards use them. If they could build those boards using copper, they would... but copper is not as ductile as aluminum and has a tendency to crack.

Yes aluminum is soft, but that is where chromium comes into play.

My point, is you could easily make an aluminum alloy skid plate that will works as well as mild steel and be lighter.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
There are so many different alloys out there with the purpose of adding a traits to the material at and. Aluminum is very ductile. That is why electronic boards use them. If they could build those boards using copper, they would... but copper is not as ductile as aluminum and has a tendency to crack.

Yes aluminum is soft, but that is where chromium comes into play.

PCB (Printed Circuit Boards) us only Copper. It conducts much better than aluminum does. Although it is heavier, and cost more. But as far as flexibility, copper is softer than aluminum is. The only way copper will crack is if its very cold, or its thin, and is repeatidly flexed back and forth.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lets just use titanium
titanium oxide is stronger the the metal its self so no need to paint any scratches!
And it sparks!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

From what I have read, the cavemen actually used wood and bone for their skidplates, fastening them to their Jeeps with sinew and tanned leather. A Jeep with wooden skidplates - we've come a long way. LOL
Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bareass
Lets just use titanium
titanium oxide is stronger the the metal its self so no need to paint any scratches!
And it sparks!!!
Our wives and/or girlfriends think we spend enough on these Jeeps as it is. Can you imagine if we started hanging a bunch of titanium parts on them. For most uses good old steel does pretty damn good. Easy to repair and cheap. Aluminum has it's place but I see very little off it on the heavy duty equipment I work around (think 2300 HP engines, 15,000 to 20,000 psi pumps, 500 ton hoists, etc).
Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aluminum skid plates. Now this is slap funny. Might I just suggest that you stay on pavement?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

ok now that got off the floor........ i bet that 10 or so pounds will look REAL good atfter you punch through your alum. skid and right through your oil pan or tranny. But if it is what you wish. good luck

07 JK Unlimited
3 inch BDS suspension lift
33x11.5x16
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Warrior Products Tube Doors
Mopar Off Road Rear Bumper
Oil Pan Tranny Skid Plate by SkidRow.....STEEL
Custom Front Winch Bumper by RoundStar OffRoad
Skyjacker Adjustable Rear Track Bar
Skyjacker Brake Line Extenders
Rock Krawler Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms
Dual Steering Stabilizer from Rough country
And Plenty of "CHARACTER" From rocks and Trees
“A bad day wheeling, is better than good day in Prison!”
^ YCP 4X4 motto ^
Old 02-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, i dont think it is all that far fetched, and i understand the reasoning. If you could make one as strong as the steel version, that wouldnt corrode sitting next to steel, i think it is actually a good idea, the weight savings and heat dissipation would be nice perks.

The aluminum one on my old motorcycle took an ass-stomping and though hammered, still worked just fine.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Stuka
PCB (Printed Circuit Boards) us only Copper. It conducts much better than aluminum does. Although it is heavier, and cost more. But as far as flexibility, copper is softer than aluminum is. The only way copper will crack is if its very cold, or its thin, and is repeatidly flexed back and forth.
You are absolutely wrong about copper being softer. it is not. Copper has a tensile strength of 55K PSI where aluminum is 25k PSI. Yes Copper has a greater conductivity... never argued that... yes cost is an issue both for materials and because copper is less ductile (thus the manufacturing process is more expensive). Never stated otherwise.

You said copper is more flexible... Its not.

And as for Chromoly which is what started this path. Chromoly stands for Chromium alloy. It has been associated with a specific combination of steel and chromium... but it still just means a chromium alloy.

Quick Reply: Anyone Make Aluminum Skid Plates