Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone Make Aluminum Skid Plates

Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Make Aluminum Skid Plates

Does anyone make aluminum skid plates, I dont want to all all the weight of steel to my Rubi.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

teraflex makes aluminum sliders,

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/jk-...ps-2-door.html

i don't know anyone that makes skids.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think aluminum cracks where steel just bends.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

One of my trail buddys drives and FJ, and has a friend that has plastic skid plates. They're polyethylene, same stuff cutting boards and stuff are made of. Strong and light. Not sure if anything like this is available for the JK.

Check it out at overthetopskids.com
Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Super Freak

actually, aluminum can be as plyable as steel. Its just that most are heat treated. Aluminum is about 30% weaker than steel by volume... so to make a skid plate as strong as steel, you have to use a thicker piece. You could use a cromoly mix which is a combination of steel and aluminum. I can't remember how plyable that is, but you won't have to worry about the aluminum galivizing to your jeep.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
actually, aluminum can be as plyable as steel. Its just that most are heat treated. Aluminum is about 30% weaker than steel by volume... so to make a skid plate as strong as steel, you have to use a thicker piece. You could use a cromoly mix which is a combination of steel and aluminum. I can't remember how plyable that is, but you won't have to worry about the aluminum galivizing to your jeep.
Chromoly is *NOT* a mixture of steel and aluminum. Its an alloy consisting of a given grade of steel (41xx), chromium and molybdenum.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Before you get all workd up about aluminum skid plates find a nice big plate of aluminum and then grab a nice big sharp edged rock and drag it across the aluminum. Stuff that slides on steel digs into aluminum and becomes difficult to slide. I have an 3/16 aluminum liner on the inside of my tailgate; it is a bitch to load anything as everything seems to drag and stick. My old PU had 1/8 of steel on the tailgate and worked out great.

I'd worry less about the wt of steel skids as the wt is down low. Now wt up high like the Range Rover (and seemingly FJCruiser) guys are doing on roof racks worries the dickens out of me.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JNMLLE
Rock Hard skid plates.

Rock Hard skids are NOT aluminum.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chuck45
........ find a nice big plate of aluminum and then grab a nice big sharp edged rock and drag it across the aluminum. Stuff that slides on steel digs into aluminum and becomes difficult to slide.
X2 on that.....

corey d
Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Rock Hard skids are NOT aluminum.
Damn straight they're not! If they were I sure as s**t wouldn't have bought them.

Heck if they were aluminum I wouldn't have run them if they gave them to me for free. Aluminum is a wonderful material; if used in an appropriate application - skids aren't one of those applications.

Quick Reply: Anyone Make Aluminum Skid Plates