Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

anyone here done or seen a rear mount turbo kit on a jk?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
I thought the whole purpose of the turbo so far back in the exhaust was for clearance in engine bays that are super tight. The long time from exhaust event to the back of the car you lose energy in the gas (and heat). You also have a delay as the pressurized intake charge has to transfer through some fairly restrictive piping back to the front of the vehicle. Why not put that same turbo under the hood and not worry about rocks, trees, mud and excessive turbo lag. If you put it up front it's easier to put in an intercooler too, netting more power. It also makes for an easier engineered and installed system, helping keep costs down.
my only reason is getting a header for it to work
Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slowjeep

my only reason is getting a header for it to work
Are you planning a RIPP long tube set? Most, like the Gibson and others are short tube design and use the stock exhaust so don't give the full benefit of tuned headers. I'm not sure if they are even equal length. Long tubes def better, but the purpose of headers is to increase scavenging of exhaust gasses allowing a better and more complete fill of intake when limited to atmospheric pressure and ram effect for cylinder filling. Turbo overcomes this by introducing pressurized charge - more air and fuel and more power as result.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Are you planning a RIPP long tube set? Most, like the Gibson and others are short tube design and use the stock exhaust so don't give the full benefit of tuned headers. I'm not sure if they are even equal length. Long tubes def better, but the purpose of headers is to increase scavenging of exhaust gasses allowing a better and more complete fill of intake when limited to atmospheric pressure and ram effect for cylinder filling. Turbo overcomes this by introducing pressurized charge - more air and fuel and more power as result.
yeah, i was talking about why i dont do an under hood turbo kit. i have yet to see a set of headers that return to the engine bay to mount a turbo too. if i did rear mount i would keep stock exhaust or get some short headers. (my driver side manifold has a hairline crack so a short style header is in the plans anyways)
Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slowjeep

yeah, i was talking about why i dont do an under hood turbo kit. i have yet to see a set of headers that return to the engine bay to mount a turbo too. if i did rear mount i would keep stock exhaust or get some short headers. (my driver side manifold has a hairline crack so a short style header is in the plans anyways)
Take a look at this. It may give you good ideas or be a solution.

http://www.4wdmechanix.com/Jeep-JK-W...bocharger.html

Here's the site for the actual turbo

http://www.ststurbo.com/jeep_wrangler

I know people like RIPP superchargers, but the price is good and for a while no cost install, don't know where you are,

http://www.shopsupercharger.com/p-10...arger-kit.aspx

Last edited by Ryan0260; 02-20-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah, i looked at STS and love the setup but price just makes it in the same ball park as the ripp. (just not a good bang for the buck) this is why gears seem to make more sense to me for now. im also thinking 37's on the next tire change

Quick Reply: anyone here done or seen a rear mount turbo kit on a jk?