Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

anyone here done or seen a rear mount turbo kit on a jk?

Old 12-25-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also want to snorkel the exhaust is I was planning on doing the deep water thing really. Dont need to let off the gas and let a little watter back into the bearings at all. On top of the power gain, it would look hella sweet. Have an intake bell on the pass side and an exhaust on the drivers side about halfway up the side.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 170-3tree
I would also want to snorkel the exhaust is I was planning on doing the deep water thing really. Dont need to let off the gas and let a little watter back into the bearings at all. On top of the power gain, it would look hella sweet. Have an intake bell on the pass side and an exhaust on the drivers side about halfway up the side.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 1slowjeep
Did you ever do this set up? I've been looking at doing the same thing but i think i can do it for under 1500 just alot of time and labor
Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck. If I wanted a turbo car I would buy a junk car and build it from scratch.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
Good luck. If I wanted a turbo car I would buy a junk car and build it from scratch.
Yeah I only have 5k Miles on a $32k vehicle, we have no clue how srrong the internals of the pent are. Forged? Nodular? Cast?
As we said in the mazda community, zoom ZOOM BOOOOOMMM!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrr1631
Did you ever do this set up? I've been looking at doing the same thing but i think i can do it for under 1500 just alot of time and labor
na man, not yet. thinking about gears instead for now.
If you do it please post some pics of how you did it.
i dont think running 3-5 psi would cause any crazy wear issues on a 3.6-3.8, trying for a horsepower race and turing up boost to much would
Old 02-19-2013, 03:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For freeway high speed use, and long uphills in loose dirt I can see a turbo. You have to spool up the vanes. For off road in rocks though? By the time the turbo kicks in the tires are shredded & if they get traction, the pinion is missing teeth.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
For freeway high speed use, and long uphills in loose dirt I can see a turbo. You have to spool up the vanes. For off road in rocks though? By the time the turbo kicks in the tires are shredded & if they get traction, the pinion is missing teeth.
maybe but the turbo i would use for this project would be a small one and should not have crazy boost hits. just a little extra for the hills and all like you mentioned
Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the whole purpose of the turbo so far back in the exhaust was for clearance in engine bays that are super tight. The long time from exhaust event to the back of the car you lose energy in the gas (and heat). You also have a delay as the pressurized intake charge has to transfer through some fairly restrictive piping back to the front of the vehicle. Why not put that same turbo under the hood and not worry about rocks, trees, mud and excessive turbo lag. If you put it up front it's easier to put in an intercooler too, netting more power. It also makes for an easier engineered and installed system, helping keep costs down.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 1slowjeep
yeah i forgot about the oil lines but i found t3 t4 turbos/ waste gate on ebay 350 or so and was going to have a buddy run ss exhaust pipe for the pressure side, figured tune for 350, injectors for 500 or so and BOV for 50. only figure i need 5psi for a good street tune. i would be very happy with a 80hp bump for under 2k. seen a youtube from krazy house customs where they made like 115hp and 130 tq (or something like that) over stock. they did a before and after dyno.
If you go with a CompTurbo you won't need oil lines, it's an oil-less turbo...just a heads-up, they're making a big big name in the LSx community.

Quick Reply: anyone here done or seen a rear mount turbo kit on a jk?