Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

anyone here done or seen a rear mount turbo kit on a jk?

Old 12-25-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone here done or seen a rear mount turbo kit on a jk?

Im thinking of doing it but have a few questions, what lbs injectors do i need and ideas on where the air filter would have to be.
when looking at the ripp kit its in the 4k range and i dont see why this cant be done for 1500 ish. maybe im missing some big PITA issues with doing this, if so please tell me what they are so i can think about it from all angles.
also can superchips do a custom tune on my flashpaq ?
thanks
oh yeah Merry Christmas everyone, hope you are all putting new toys on your jeeps today!!!!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Yeah, if you buy a complete kit, you gonna pay some hefty margin. I think about 2K is about right if you piece it together, maybe even less if you can get some good deals or buy used parts. I never heard of custom tunes from Superchips, but with a Diablo tuner I heard it's possible. Not a lot of people run here a turbo, so probably won't get much response on this.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your welcome STS Turbo, Inc. - Jeep Wrangler I don't think you are going to build a remote mount system for $1500. Between turbo, piping, fuel injectors, ecm tuning, etc. I just don't see it being that cheap.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looked into the option after a buddy did it to his RX-8 and it runs awesome. crazy power increase and the sound of the blow off popping in between shifts is sweet just not sure about the programming issues tho and doing it for less than 1,500 is not going to be easy to do especially if you buy one of those CHEAP ASS JUNK CHINESE turbos and you need to use quality stainless steel lines and fittings for the oil supply and return...good luck!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah i forgot about the oil lines but i found t3 t4 turbos/ waste gate on ebay 350 or so and was going to have a buddy run ss exhaust pipe for the pressure side, figured tune for 350, injectors for 500 or so and BOV for 50. only figure i need 5psi for a good street tune. i would be very happy with a 80hp bump for under 2k. seen a youtube from krazy house customs where they made like 115hp and 130 tq (or something like that) over stock. they did a before and after dyno.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigSteve
Your welcome STS Turbo, Inc. - Jeep Wrangler I don't think you are going to build a remote mount system for $1500. Between turbo, piping, fuel injectors, ecm tuning, etc. I just don't see it being that cheap.
rite on man, i could not find a price on it. do you know what they go for off hand? if not i will call them tomorrow. thanks man
Old 12-25-2012, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Diablo In Tune should allow you to custom tune for your turbo specs.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't seem like a good set up for off road. Water crossings might be murder on that set up.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

You would want to call them. They are a good company, but you'll probably havr to fab up a snorkel like found on military humvee exhausts. They are typically self contained oil systems so you'd juat have to do oil changes on the turbo too. The other requirement would be a VERY strong skid plate that would provide room for impact. With a watertight snorkel system water would be beneficial for the system since there is typically no intercooler due to the long boost tube.

I knew a guy with one on a Mazda 3 from my last forum community and he didn't do any tuning at all for the longest time running around 6-8lbs of boost. I almost set one up for my fairlane which would take about the same rpm specs as you'd want for wheeling (below 4k or so) and then the systems were in the 1500-2500 range for price and the high end was for a twin setup. I didn't do it because I'd have to scoop the trunk compartment and that be dumb.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ncb
It doesn't seem like a good set up for off road. Water crossings might be murder on that set up.
that’s the only issue with the intake side i was thinking but other wise if its sealed i see no issue with running underwater from time to time. the exhaust side of the turbo should not get to hot being at the rear of the exhaust so i would think cracking from water shock should be no issue. like said above a good thick ass skid plate and some kind of snorkel system.

i wonder if the injectors were bumped up if the superchip tune set on 87 with 89 oct fuel would set the timing back enough to support 5-6 psi without knock.

Quick Reply: anyone here done or seen a rear mount turbo kit on a jk?