Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone here chipped their 2.8 CRD?

Old 11-02-2010, 01:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need the diesel here dammit!!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOST
We need the diesel here dammit!!
Funny, 'cause when I first went to find a JK I wanted the V6 3.8. Couldn't find one for love nor money. Finally gave up and went for the CRD. Damn glad I couldn't find the V6 now!!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bstpierre
Do the factory Diesel Wranglers have heavier duty axles?

Yes, they have stronger axles. I was searching for rear lockers and only the ARB would fit, but with certain grinding in the housing.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:12 AM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

X 2 on not bothering with the chipping.
I assume more horse power and torque means less MPG ?

With diesel being equivalent to approx $6.50 per US gallon I think the Govt gets enough tax out of me already to pay for there 'daft' social schemes.

Been using low sulpher Shell V POWER diesel, which has a higher cetane levels for a while now and seems to give a smoother operation with a little more zip....
Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bazillus
I wouldn't chip my CRD b/c it has plenty of power being "stock" even running 35".

Look at the J8, the millitary version of our JK, there the CRD has been reduced in horsepower to last longer.

I'm absolutly happy with my CRD, today I just passed 98.000km and i want to pass the 200,000kms some day without any problems due chipping the CRD.

Just install a snorkel (as CAI) and you're gonna be happy increasing your mileage by letting the CRD getting some fresh air
How much extra milage did you get with the snorkel ?
Any extra wind noise ?

Thanks
RLT
Old 11-02-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bazillus
I wouldn't chip my CRD b/c it has plenty of power being "stock" even running 35".

Look at the J8, the millitary version of our JK, there the CRD has been reduced in horsepower to last longer.

I'm absolutly happy with my CRD, today I just passed 98.000km and i want to pass the 200,000kms some day without any problems due chipping the CRD.

Just install a snorkel (as CAI) and you're gonna be happy increasing your mileage by letting the CRD getting some fresh air
I have run chips in my Cummins Turbo Diesel and talking with friends have well over 700K km's on them since being chipped. I have 250K km's on my diesel and all those with a Edge Juice with attitude. I play in the high power bands at times but I have my alarms set and my Tranny beefed up to a triple clutch, add CAI, MBRP 4" exhaust and pyrometer pre-turbo, so I can play with the highest power settings. I have had zero issues with my motor.

I don't know where you get the idea that chips cause problems. That is false! It is the amount of power and how the person drives that Chipped diesel is the problem. I see some idiots adding +150hp and stacking chips thinking the stock components will last. The biggest issues is people putting mega HP/Torque and failing to upgrade there transmission or clutch to handle that power as well they forget to add a pyrometer to measure EGT's.

With mild chips for towing/fuel mileage or just a moderate amt of power will improve your HP,torque, response and fuel mileage. A programmer or chip will not wear out your Diesel and a diesel motor with only 200k km's is basically just breaking in! My dad has run Cummin and Powerstroke Diesels beyond 1 million km's will no issues on the motors, the limiting longevity factors for diesels are;transmissions, suspension and body panels not the motor!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RLT
X 2 on not bothering with the chipping.
I assume more horse power and torque means less MPG ?

Generally false...I gained 1 to 2 MPG city and approx. 2to 3MPG using a powerchip on my 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel and this is running on my Power setting (extra 50hp/100lb/ft of torque). Also, I have gotten better MPG with my superchips on my gasser JK but that is not tromping on the skinny pedal every opportunity you have!
Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm only planning on a mild chip upgrade. It adds 25HP, taking the total to 202bph and increases the torque somewhat, too. From what I gather it just makes the engine "shine" a little more and the mpg is supposed to increase slightly.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

i wish wish wish wish we had a CRD wrangler here. in a HEARTBEAT i would trade/sell anything to get it
Old 11-05-2010, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up We have the CRD In Australia and it is Awesome!

I'm assuming its not avaliable in North America for emissions reasons??

Quick Reply: Anyone here chipped their 2.8 CRD?