Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone heard of this scenario?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno, they're unidirectional, so it shouldn't matter. Did it to my wife's stock TJ, same prob to the letter you were having. That fixed it.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with MK in that certain speed realted death wobble is usually a tire being out of balance/uneven wear. This has always been the case in my own experience. What tire are you running?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats good to hear man, ill give it all a try tomorow and get back with results asap, thanks again!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im runnin the stock goodyear 255 75 17s, at roughly 29,500 miles now
Old 08-12-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Freak

I had the jks trac bar that was flexing. This scenario sounds different. I had a steep progession over a week from no problems at all to bad steering wheel shake to full death wobble, and it would happen at any speed (even >10mph) and was induced by bumps/irregularities in the road. Like what others are saying, usually the speed specific dw is most likely a balancing issue. You could try messing with your toe in as well. It's such an easy adjustment I'd recommend it to anyone having steering issues.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Are running aftermarket wheels or the stock ones? Some people had issues with the 'star' washers? on the hubs with some aftermarket rims.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:42 PM
JK Freak

You really should add adjustable control arms and set the caster per Wayoflife's write ups.

My DW was solved by going to adjustable track bar and control arms.

In the mean time, lowering your air pressure will help reduce the effects. Check your steering stabilizer too. Not the cause, but can help the symptoms in the mean time.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

I just wanted to define DW a bit to some who may not know the defferent.

DW and steering shimmy or road vibe is completely different. When DW starts 90% of the time you must come to immediate complete stop of the vehicle. 10% of the time you can actually gas through it, buy quickly accelerate the vehicle at the split sec when DW occur ( Which isn't the safest method since you must catch it in that split sec and I am not responsible for this action at all )

DW generally occur in the speed of 30mph-50mph ( but some starts in much lower speed when steering is completely off the whack). Any time a vehicle travel above approx of 55 plus mph have enough momentum to keep the wheel straight without releasing the lateral movements.

The DW generally caused by the fallowing failure of these parts.

- Suspension parts are not torqued down to proper spec

-worn bushings ( crack, hairline crack)

-crack track bar mounts

-improper caster, or toe angle

-Track bar defect.

-improper steering geometry

I personally had a DW that I could not figure out for the life of me. And with help of few people by testing different scenarios and changed out many different parts to be able to eliminate the source of DW
Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replys everyone, i am running the stco 255 75 17s on stock rims, ive had balancing issues before as well, it is very speed related at 55 mph and thats where i get the shimmy goin on, but both occasions of for sure death wobble occured at 60-65, i came to a complete stop on the highway i adjusted toe out today and it helped loosen the steering it a little and now it seems more balance related, and havent got the DW today so thats a plus, my caster is around 2.0 which i know is low and im tryin to save up for adj. control arms, im just tired of squeezin the steerin wheel over every bump or dip at higher speeds, no problems at all below 50 mph.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Let me rephrase my last post a little, jeep drives fine below 50 mph, but like clock work at around 55 theres a little shimmy through the steering and goes away once i get to 60 mph(so i need a rebalance), but my DW occured while goin 60-65 and scared the hell out of me and thank god there was no oncoming traffic. My caster is right around 2.0 also

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of this scenario?