Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone heard of this scenario?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone heard of this scenario?

Right now im in the same boat as alot of jk'ers and am experiencing death wobble, ive read over all related issues so i am goin after it one step at a time, but ive been told by a couple guys with lifted dodge trucks with DW that they had shocks that were too short and after putting on longer shocks it went away, could this scenario be possible on the jk as well?...mods are in sig.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

...and please dont start a 20 page thread about how stupid it may sound, just yes or no answer, thanks.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dodge trucks and jk's are two seperate animals. But no, I think shocks would be the last thing that caused DW.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Dodge trucks and jk's are two seperate animals. But no, I think shocks would be the last thing that caused DW.
Ya it didnt make much sense to me either lol bcrouse i havent ruled everything else out, it was wobbling just barely around 55mph then i got it algned today and after driving it for a while DW hit me, front trackbar bracket is good and trackbar is torqued, axle is centered, ball jonts are good, next on the list is to just take it into a shop and have them go over everything really good. This sucks!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Looking at your sig, I see you have a jks frt trackbar. They had another member on here that had DW cause his was flexing, maybe something to check. Also, when they alighned it, they probably changed your toe witch could cause it to go from a shudder to a wobble if the toe is wrong. Have you gotten your tires balanced in a while. Speed related shudder is almost always balance related. If they increased your toe in probably your shudder went to a wobble.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ill go check my toe and see if they changed it, hopefully its not the trackbar lol before my alignment i had to set my toe out about 1/16th to get to just a slight wobble but still a little bump steer, but ill adjust my toe and see what i can come up with tomorow and let you know, thanks for the quick help by the way i really appreciate it!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

By the way ive had discount tire balance my tires about 3 times the past couple months, they said my tires were "cupped" in spots, but tires arent an option budget wise for now.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Might wanna try cross rotating them from back to frt if the toe adj doesn't work.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless the valving in one of your shocks is completley shot they really shouldn't have any affect on DW. Shocks alone should not cause DW of any type, though they may dampen the affects of it (or not if they are blown). I would concentrate on your trackbar set-up and your alignment as causes, also consider having your wheel and tire combination checked for balance and make sure you havent bent a wheel.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ill give that a try as well, ive heard its bad to have them rotated front tires straight back and criss cross back tires to the front, is that the same for the stock goodyear 255 75 17s?

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of this scenario?