Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

anyone have these ? Rock Rails only $199

Old 03-30-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in these too. I wish there were more specs on them. I think shrockrails are the best but they're twice the cost. Anybody know of some cheaper rails that are frame mounted??
Old 04-01-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got these in from JCWhitney today. They do not mount to the body mounts like I thought. They mount to the frame, but you have to drill 4, 9/32" holes and use the self tapping bolts. 4 holes per mounting location that is, and 4 locations. (driver/passanger/front/back) Well, I was prepared to do that, when I lined up the rails to find that whoever makes these does not know how to measure. :( The distance from the frame to the pinch seam is different on the front than the back on our jeeps, and it looks like they made the tubes coming off the frame different lengths to line up the rails with the body, but... they didn't make them the the correct length. Not only did they make these the wrong length, but the left rear is different from the right rear, and the left front is different from the right front. ? I'm sending them back, and I'm going with the shrockworks. You get what you pay for I guess. I don't recommend these to anyone.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NE Wrangling
I think those are the smittybilt ones? If so they do not have frame mount rails. I called them before ordering the AtoZ rails. But $#@% the price is hard to refuse and it's about time the competition battle started. The pricing is NUTS for some of these mods.
I have a set ordered with AtoZ also... can't go wrong buying locally!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

I think im going with some rubi rails....

are these stock rails that bad???? Or people just like to switch for a more modded look?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Enteric
Got these in from JCWhitney today. They do not mount to the body mounts like I thought. They mount to the frame, but you have to drill 4, 9/32" holes and use the self tapping bolts. 4 holes per mounting location that is, and 4 locations. (driver/passanger/front/back) Well, I was prepared to do that, when I lined up the rails to find that whoever makes these does not know how to measure. :( The distance from the frame to the pinch seam is different on the front than the back on our jeeps, and it looks like they made the tubes coming off the frame different lengths to line up the rails with the body, but... they didn't make them the the correct length. Not only did they make these the wrong length, but the left rear is different from the right rear, and the left front is different from the right front. ? I'm sending them back, and I'm going with the shrockworks. You get what you pay for I guess. I don't recommend these to anyone.
Enteric, great feedback - many thanks. Is there any mention on the box or part of these being supplied by Smittybilt ?

The appeal of these for me was that they double as rock rails and as a step for the kids (top of 'step' is lower than other similar ones from AtoZ, Rugged Ridge etc)
Old 04-02-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westchester
Enteric, great feedback - many thanks. Is there any mention on the box or part of these being supplied by Smittybilt ?

The appeal of these for me was that they double as rock rails and as a step for the kids (top of 'step' is lower than other similar ones from AtoZ, Rugged Ridge etc)
Hey Westchester. I don't think it had anything on the box that said it was Smittybilt, but they look exactly like the ones from them. If the smittybilt ones mount to the frame with drilling, then they are for sure smittybilt. I just thought the smittybilt and rugged ridge mounted to the body mounts. I'll look again on the box when I get home and post tonight. There is no stamping or anything on the rails themself, but maybe on the box. I am thinking about getting some steel "shims" to put between the rails and the frame for the back where they mount to the frame so they are parallel to the body. If I can do that and find some longer self tapping bolts for a decent price, I might just keep them. They are pretty heavy duty. 50+ lbs each, and they have a good surface area to step on. My wife is 5 months pregnant and can't wait for new ones to come. she can't get in now without me throwing her in. Might just have to make these work. I'll post tonight if I find any markings on the box.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks again. Pushing the envelope....any chance of some pics ??
Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Enteric
Hey Westchester. I don't think it had anything on the box that said it was Smittybilt, but they look exactly like the ones from them. If the smittybilt ones mount to the frame with drilling, then they are for sure smittybilt. I just thought the smittybilt and rugged ridge mounted to the body mounts. I'll look again on the box when I get home and post tonight. There is no stamping or anything on the rails themself, but maybe on the box. I am thinking about getting some steel "shims" to put between the rails and the frame for the back where they mount to the frame so they are parallel to the body. If I can do that and find some longer self tapping bolts for a decent price, I might just keep them. They are pretty heavy duty. 50+ lbs each, and they have a good surface area to step on. My wife is 5 months pregnant and can't wait for new ones to come. she can't get in now without me throwing her in. Might just have to make these work. I'll post tonight if I find any markings on the box.
Im interested also and thanks for the feedback, keep us updated.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll take pics, and do a write-up when I'm all done. Hopefully it will be done this weekend. So write up by Tuesday probably. I'll post some pictures of the box contents tomorrow if my camera is charged up tonight. And if the wife and 2 year old are not high-maintainance tonight.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

they might attacch onthe chassis

Quick Reply: anyone have these ? Rock Rails only $199