Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone have a Synergy Lift with 37 inch tires

Old 04-08-2020, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone have a Synergy Lift with 37 inch tires

Hello Jeepers,

I have been wanting to upgrade my stock 2012 JKUR's suspension so that I can run 37" tires. I have looked at doing 35s because less modifications are required but found that I really want the extra lift and capability.
Synergy was recommended over Teraflex by Chris Overacker Design (trusted installer and Jeep legend) because Synergy has higher quality and offers a more complete package than TF. So I am comfortable choosing Synergy. The questions I have are directed to anyone who has a Synergy Lift with 37" tires. This is going to be a daily driver with the option to hit any trail that I want to when I do go off road. I prefer the Overlanding style over Rock Crawling but, as y'all know the two are often encountered in the same trip.
I will be upgrading the stock driveshafts for Adam's 1350 front and rear.
I will be upgrading to 4.88 or 5.13 gears depending upon what recommendations I receive here.
I will also be adding a steel front bumper with winch and a rear steel bumper as well as a Rhino rack and a rear tire carrier.
I heard about issues with the Synergy springs with this much weight, are they true?
Can I get by with a 3" lift or do I have to get the 4.5" lift?
I really would like to add the Falcon 3.3 shocks to the Synergy lift but am open to suggestions.
Are new bump stops recommended? The kits say they include bump stop extensions but not bump stops...
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Which Synergy lift kits are suitable?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Can I get by with a 3" lift or do I have to get the 4.5" lift?
Are you keeping stock flares, or swapping to flats?

I am not running Synergy coils, but all of my steering components are theirs. I think Synergy is a solid choice. And if you are open to other suggestions, take a look at MetalCloak.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Compare Metalcloak as well as Synergy. You do not need 4.5" of lift to run 37s. Taller isn't better, and it does not translate to improved performance. Qualtiy 3.5" lift will likely net you a bit more than that anyhow. What you need to run 37s is more about being set up properly, proper shock lengths, and proper bumpstops or limiting straps. IMO, you are at the point of needing full set of control arms cuz 37s seems to me to be the point you really do need to move that rear axle back again when around 3-3.5" of lift, otherwise that rear tire is really creeping forward in the wheel well. You may need to relocation your rear sway bar or scrap it, and if you relocate it you'll likely be addressing exhaust as well. If you're not running 3.5" BS wheels, look at some. Most the options will be beadlocks. I've run both 5.13 and 4.88 gears with the 3.6L and 37s. I'd venture to say go 5.13 up there in Colorado. RPMs would be a little high at top speeds, but you're not doing much 80 mph driving up there, so you'd appreciate the lower end power in the mountains. I'd get adjustable bumpstops like what Metalcloak uses so you can adjust things if need be based on your jeep's needs.

Oh, and if you have not upgraded ball joints yet, start looking at Rare Parts BJs. The weight of 37s is hard on em. You going to go with hydro steering as well? PSC and WTO Red Neck Ram are the most common options.

Last edited by resharp001; 04-08-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will also want to make sure you run a stubby bumper in front if you decide to go with 37's... most, if not all, full width bumpers will make contact with the tire when stuffed and turned. Also, remember brakes... I personally would not run 37's on factory brakes, even lightweight Milestars are a lot of rotating mass and the Powerstop upgrade didn't even feel like enough.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Are you keeping stock flares, or swapping to flats?

I am not running Synergy coils, but all of my steering components are theirs. I think Synergy is a solid choice. And if you are open to other suggestions, take a look at MetalCloak.
Well I took some advice and contacted Synergy directly about this. It says on their website that you can run 37s with the stock fenders and the stage 3 or 4 4.5" lift system but 40s with flat fenders. I'm waiting to hear back but I am thinking about the stock fenders unless that is a deal breaker with the 3" lift.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Compare Metalcloak as well as Synergy. You do not need 4.5" of lift to run 37s. Taller isn't better, and it does not translate to improved performance. Qualtiy 3.5" lift will likely net you a bit more than that anyhow. What you need to run 37s is more about being set up properly, proper shock lengths, and proper bumpstops or limiting straps. IMO, you are at the point of needing full set of control arms cuz 37s seems to me to be the point you really do need to move that rear axle back again when around 3-3.5" of lift, otherwise that rear tire is really creeping forward in the wheel well. You may need to relocation your rear sway bar or scrap it, and if you relocate it you'll likely be addressing exhaust as well. If you're not running 3.5" BS wheels, look at some. Most the options will be beadlocks. I've run both 5.13 and 4.88 gears with the 3.6L and 37s. I'd venture to say go 5.13 up there in Colorado. RPMs would be a little high at top speeds, but you're not doing much 80 mph driving up there, so you'd appreciate the lower end power in the mountains. I'd get adjustable bumpstops like what Metalcloak uses so you can adjust things if need be based on your jeep's needs.

Oh, and if you have not upgraded ball joints yet, start looking at Rare Parts BJs. The weight of 37s is hard on em. You going to go with hydro steering as well? PSC and WTO Red Neck Ram are the most common options.
You're the second person to mention the Metalcloak brand to me. I think I just started to glaze over when I was researching and got sucked into the Teraflex and Synergy vorteces. Teraflex seemed really idiot-proof and had very good on road handling (most of my driving) and also great research and development but when I mentioned them to the guy doing my install he suggested Synergy and said it was better than TF.
That being said, I usually like to drive fast (a la Ricky Bobby) so I would like to be able to comfortably hit 85-90 when the mood catches me right. So 4.88s aren't out of the quesiton. I will definitely look into new ball joints. Do the control arms need to be adjustable? Synergy sells two variations one they call Long arms and the other more expensive kit says adjustable...not sure what the difference is other than the adjustable ones would be helpful for future changes but is it correct to assume that the long arms are set to be the proper length for what I need without the adjustability?
I'm gonna be honest, hydro steering is not something I have ever heard of...I'll research that too but if you can help me understand that I would appreciate it.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

You would be doing yourself a favor by looking at the Metalcloak options. I have their 2.5" Game Changer lift and can hit 90 mph if I have a 30 mph tailwind and it is rock solid with no wandering.

Hydro steering will make it easy to turn those 37" wheels if you play in the rocks. You'll be able to one finger your steering wheel lock to lock.

Also, look at upgrading your brakes. I have a set of Dynatrac Pro Grips waiting for me at home to install. Those 37" tires are a lot more rolling mass to stop.

Reinforce your "C"'s also. Preferably BEFORE upgrading your ball joints as it involves welding right next to them.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would pick synergy or metal cloak over teraflex every day of the week. There is no comparison and half of what Teraflex offers is made in China. I consider them junk about the same as RK and Rough Country. I don't know if it is still the case but Metal Cloak had the longes available coils that would not unseat or require coil retainers with long travel shocks. Other companies may make longer coils now but it is hard to keep up will every component from every mfg.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would pick synergy or metal cloak over teraflex every day of the week. There is no comparison and half of what Teraflex offers is made in China. I consider them junk about the same as RK and Rough Country. I don't know if it is still the case but Metal Cloak had the longes available coils that would not unseat or require coil retainers with long travel shocks. Other companies may make longer coils now but it is hard to keep up will every component from every mfg.
I loathe Chinese parts and really everything “They took our jobs!”
As for the MC coils you mentioned is it safe to assume that they will actually produce a higher lift when the Jeep is unloaded (like Synergy’s website claims about their springs)? Although I’d like to have a nice steel front and rear bumper the $ to add those is instead going into a quality suspension and tires. Glad I talked to y’all about TF...it’s easy to get sold on their parts when you see the hot chicks in their videos and Dennis talking about all the R&D they out into their components.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
As for the MC coils you mentioned is it safe to assume that they will actually produce a higher lift when the Jeep is unloaded (like Synergy’s website claims about their springs)?
I'm at about 4.5" with MC's 3.5" coils. (steel stubby and 9500lb winch, but not armored or loaded up for overlanding so maybe lighter than some other folks)

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-08-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a Synergy Lift with 37 inch tires