Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone have Smittybilt XRC Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by henney13
Great... thanks for the info! I will be running a 35" so should be perfect if you got a 37" on that thing!!
Yep you shouldn't have any problem. I'm pretty sure JPTwinz has a 40" Nitto Mud Grappler on his.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Ive got a 35" tire on mine and it has held up great with no rattles. Opening it up gets old after a while since you have to swing open the tire and then open the gate. The powder coat on it has come off in some places but I blame that on myself and the crap I keep throwing in the back of my jeep.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really like mine. The last one I had (on my last JK) was a rockhard. It was a great bumper but I could never get it to stop rattling over bumps. This one has a nice big compression rubber washer on the handle that takes up the slack and has been pretty rattle free for me. The adjustment on tire mount location provides better visibility too.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cb900f
In my opinion, spend a little bit more money and get a better tire carrier. I have the same bumper and it rattles like crazy. To "Fix" it you have to tighten the tire carrier down to where the amount of force to open it is crazy. The spindle is not bearing based, but a clamp style. Very poor design along with the handle. Many have had zero problems, but I wish I would have spent just a little bit more and gotten a better carrier.
X2...poor latch design, rattles, once opened on its own while I was driving, it wore through the latch mechanism so the latch wouldn't hold, had to drill a hole through it to place a pin to hold it in place. That said, I do like the look and I think they may have redesigned the handle to correct the problems I have had.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

been running one of these on the wifes jeep for almost a year now. dont have any rattling problem or any issues with the latch. However, I have had a small rust issue. This is probably just due to living in hawaii and all the salt water.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
Had mine for over a year. They sent me a bracket(design change) for free that keeps the carrier from any rattles. It's great and holds RockHard fuel carriers as well.

Sorry for the treading-on-thread... Do you have a close up pic of that that new bracket by chance???????
Old 07-10-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Super Freak

My replacement for the first one that rattled like crazy still rattles and the rust is awful. I am going to get the latch fix for the rattle and a can of duplicolor will fix it up. The bumper looks great and is strong. If you do have an issue, the customer service at Smittybilt is great and has sold me on the company..
Old 07-10-2011, 10:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had basically no rattles although I did have the rubbing issue where the right side of the bumper would come in contact with the tub. Ordered a body lift to correct the problem as others have done. No biggie there.

Interestingly enough I decided to install the extra support piece on the handle since I had it anyway and the first wheeling trip out I get quite a few rattles now, but that being said the bumper no longer contacts the tub. (still waiting for the body lift to arrive). Needless to say I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the support piece on or not. Almost need a Teflon brick around it or something to dampen it. :confused:
Old 07-11-2011, 03:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by deconstructionist

Sorry for the treading-on-thread... Do you have a close up pic of that that new bracket by chance???????
Here is the thread with pics and instructions:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...l-Please!!!%29

Quick Reply: Anyone have Smittybilt XRC Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier?