Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone have a 35" on the stock spare mount?

Old 01-24-2010, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingJeep
I think the secret to having 35's on the stock carrier is to NOT use one of those relocation brackets if at all possible.

If you have a 35 mounted on a wheel with the correct amount of backspacing then it will probably fit just fine without one. Then all you need to do is get the Daystar tailgate bump stops to make good contact with tires (you can cut them down to the correct length). This combo will keep the spare in close and tight to the tailgate providing much less leverage on it and the tire should just clear the rear bumper. That's how I have mine set up and I think it will last me quite a while until I get my rear bumper with a tire carrier so I can run 37's.
What is the best backspacing I need to get the spare tight against the tailgate? I have 35x12.5r17 DC FC2s. And how muck lighter is a 17" alluminum rim than a 17" steel rim?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

i had a 35 x 12.5 on the stock carrier. when i first put it on it rattled with the soft top more than the hard top. the rattle started to get less and less. think i was bending the tailgate. i just picked up a rear bumper and tire carrier.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a 315/75/16 with 4.25" backspacing on my stock tailgate with no problems yet....but its only been 2 months.

As soon as tax check comes its new bumper/carrier time
Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 AM
bkw
JK Freak

I'm running a 35x12.5x16 on a 5" BS wheel back there. The tire sits flush ontop of the rear bumper and therefore I had thought that I'd be able to live without a tire carrier due to there being minimal strain put on the gate.

Well.. it's been about 7 months and I now have to lift my gate up for it to close properly. I'll be going with either an XRC of XHD, just trying to figure out which is the better bang for the buck.

So to those of you who have their tires supported by the stock bumper, it's only a matter of time until your gate begins to fail.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkw
I'm running a 35x12.5x16 on a 5" BS wheel back there. The tire sits flush ontop of the rear bumper and therefore I had thought that I'd be able to live without a tire carrier due to there being minimal strain put on the gate.

Well.. it's been about 7 months and I now have to lift my gate up for it to close properly. I'll be going with either an XRC of XHD, just trying to figure out which is the better bang for the buck.

So to those of you who have their tires supported by the stock bumper, it's only a matter of time until your gate begins to fail.
That is really the key to this whole matter.

I've been working on the tailgate installing a rear view camera and when you see in detail what it is made of and how it is supported, it becomes painfully obvious that the tailgate is not up for the task in the long run.

The tailgate is also adjusted to accommodate the load of the spare because if the spare is not mounted you actually have to push down on it to get it to close smoothly.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't get this. My Rubi has 32's stock and it sounds like eventually it will fail due to the weight. I can't believe Jeep doesn't have some kind of fix for it.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm thinking about having a metal plate and support bracket fabricated (similar to the photo below) to take the flex out of the tailgate. Hanson makes a carrier for $500 that is basically the same idea, but a major rip off in price. What do you think of this idea? It looks like it might help quite a bit.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As soon as I put my 37 on the tailgate I backed into a tree, ordered a carrier the next day.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=45001

I put this on with the MBRP beef up kit to keep my tailgate happy. I love the setup, and get no wiggle because of the design of the smittybilt tire carrier. It doesn't use rubber bumpers to support the tire. It just uses steel bumpers for a solid fit. We'll see how it lasts.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PGCI
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=45001

I put this on with the MBRP beef up kit to keep my tailgate happy. I love the setup, and get no wiggle because of the design of the smittybilt tire carrier. It doesn't use rubber bumpers to support the tire. It just uses steel bumpers for a solid fit. We'll see how it lasts.
Any pics?...

Quick Reply: Anyone have a 35" on the stock spare mount?