Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone have a 35" on the stock spare mount?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE="It hasn't happened to me" they have just been beating the odds but....just a matter of time and how many bumps. :[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right. It will eventually pull off the back door. I am sure with that weight, every bump brings it closer and closer to failure. Plus the add on spare tire carrier, especially the Mopar one, make it look much better.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Yep I have a grappler dangling back there. Its only been a couple months, but I know its only a matter of time. I did order the MBRP support brackets to help out a little. So we will see.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Junkie

my spare...which was heavier than most, being a 20" rim with a 36" tire...rode back there for a while, but really started to wobble after a few months. Like the others, my welds started popping, and once a few go, it get worse much more quickly.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Lifting my 18" wheel with 35" tire up to the stock mount was enough to convince me that it won't be able to handle it in the long term... now if I could just find the extra cash to buy a decent bumper with spare tire carrier... 2 months so far with no issues, but I haven't done any really tough trails yet with it up there.
Ryan
Old 09-11-2009, 08:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So has anyone "beefed up" the stock gate? Or have any alternatives to help take the load off of it?
Old 09-12-2009, 04:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mbrp tailgate brace as mentioned
Old 09-14-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

What is "mbrp" I google "mbrp tailgate brace" and got nothing.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Waiting
What is "mbrp" I google "mbrp tailgate brace" and got nothing.
Check this thread

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=mbrp+tailgate

also linky

http://www.mbrp.com/
Old 09-14-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the secret to having 35's on the stock carrier is to NOT use one of those relocation brackets if at all possible.

If you have a 35 mounted on a wheel with the correct amount of backspacing then it will probably fit just fine without one. Then all you need to do is get the Daystar tailgate bump stops to make good contact with tires (you can cut them down to the correct length). This combo will keep the spare in close and tight to the tailgate providing much less leverage on it and the tire should just clear the rear bumper. That's how I have mine set up and I think it will last me quite a while until I get my rear bumper with a tire carrier so I can run 37's.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FlyingJeep
I think the secret to having 35's on the stock carrier is to NOT use one of those relocation brackets if at all possible.

If you have a 35 mounted on a wheel with the correct amount of backspacing then it will probably fit just fine without one. Then all you need to do is get the Daystar tailgate bump stops to make good contact with tires (you can cut them down to the correct length). This combo will keep the spare in close and tight to the tailgate providing much less leverage on it and the tire should just clear the rear bumper. That's how I have mine set up and I think it will last me quite a while until I get my rear bumper with a tire carrier so I can run 37's.
i totally agree... the further out it sits the more pull on the tailgate.. which is no good

Quick Reply: Anyone have a 35" on the stock spare mount?