Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone with a Gobi rack AND a Body Lift?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with a Gobi rack AND a Body Lift?

Considering buying the Gobi 2dr Ranger Rack but after looking at the install sheet I've come across a potential issue. The mounting structure at the rear frame rail, part "E" in the instructions, appears to mount on the frame rail, and then rises flush to the body tub. I'm running a 1.25" BL, I know I could mount the rack system as instructed but if there is less than a 1.25" gap from the roof line to the rack I'm going to run into a problem.

Has anyone a) ran into a fitment issue with contact between the roof and rack w/a BL

and b) if they have what was their solution?

I assume I could hunt down a good metal fabricator and have them weld in an additional 1.25" lift bracket to the frame rail, change the angle of part "E" with an additional welded in triangular support, or just space out the top of support "E" with some shims in respect to the tube base and top of E (I would rather not).

Last edited by runit3; 02-15-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd give David at Alpha Expedition a call or pm him (MBATF on here).

He'll know or find out for you.

Sorry I couldn't find a definitive answer for ya (but my gut instinct is that the back posts that mount to the frame will be your issue).

Last edited by m(a)ce; 02-15-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

I own a 4 door JK with a 2.5 inch OME HD suspension Lift, I installed the lift after buying the Gobi Stealth. You should not have an issue having a suspension lift with the Gobi. I had the same worries like you. But Paul at Gobi assured me there will be no issues, and he was correct.

With a suspension lift you should not have an issue because the body and the frame rise together so there will be no problems. With a body only lift the situation might be different, you might want to check with Paul at Gobi.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

I was talking about my Rough Country 1.25" Body Lift (BL). It raises the body tub in respect to the frame of the JK. How much space is there between your rack and the roof line?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by runit3
I was talking about my Rough Country 1.25" Body Lift (BL). It raises the body tub in respect to the frame of the JK. How much space is there between your rack and the roof line?
It is around 1.5 inches. The distance is too small in my opinion to risk it and have the rack touch the roof.

You can ask Paul at gobi racks to think of an adjustment. He assisted me in reinforcing my rack with custom made heavy duty brackets, I am sure he will help you solve this issue.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Default Solution?

Hey Runit3 - I have the same issue - bought a Gobi Stealth at a charity fundraiser (it was donated to them new in the box) and my jeep has a 1.25" RR body lift - the brackets will be too short to reach from the frame to the rear rack support towers because of the lift. I emailed Gobi because I'm sure this has come up before.

How did you resolve the problem?

Quick Reply: Anyone with a Gobi rack AND a Body Lift?