Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

anyone with full traction issues

Old 01-26-2010, 04:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so you know, the track bars are not designed to have a zerk, if they make noise you need a thicker or tackier grease. No reason to add a zerk and work for yourself. I greased mine with a crappy grease from walmart. It lasted about a month. I then bought a little more expensive grease from napa. Never had to touch them since. It's been about a year
Old 01-26-2010, 05:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Just so you know, the track bars are not designed to have a zerk, if they make noise you need a thicker or tackier grease. No reason to add a zerk and work for yourself. I greased mine with a crappy grease from walmart. It lasted about a month. I then bought a little more expensive grease from napa. Never had to touch them since. It's been about a year
I tried lithium, synthetic, and synthetic blend. Also tried different torque settings. The only thing that's fixed it (so far) was the zerk. If it starts squeaking again, even with my regular greasing schedule, then I'll replace the trackbars.

js.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Funny how your attitude changed about the lift since the PA show.
if you have spacers and do not have extended bump stops, you caused the coils to over compress and made them fail.

use some anti seize on the locknuts, if you didnt shame on you living in a Salt state. failure to greese will also ruin your bushings.

You cant blame the company for lack of maintance.
I agree shame on me for lack of maintance and im not blaming them im just saying check your options the locknut is my fault 100% and i have greased the arms maybe not as often as i should have but there just a year old now they shouldnt be bad imo thats all
Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

well my kit just got here today. that was a little over a week of ordering them
now i gotta go thru it to make sure everything is here. and hopefully have the money for my other parts and install them all this spring/summer
Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 PM
JK Freak

omg i was reading thru the install instructions and it says i have to remove the gas tank and exaust before even starting this kit.
i understand the gas tank but why the exaust
Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Ah, you have the long arm, ignore most of the negative reviews, different bushings in the long arm.

The exhaust gets in the way of cutting and grinding the stock brackets off. I tried to work around it. It didn't work.

Removing the exhaust is easy, it's not really a big deal
Old 01-26-2010, 10:52 PM
JK Freak

You'll be fine, 40,000 miles on the same set of coils and shocks with no sagging. I'm running 37's on the 3" coils. If it was sagging. I wouldnt be able to run the tires

Keep the lift greased and you'll be fine. They sold a ton of these kits when the JK came out. With sales like they had, you will find some people thats not happy. It can happen with any lift. hey, Atleast you bought a lift that was made in the USA

Not many can say that

they are still testing out different bushings for people that don't like to grease there lifts.(ie no maintance) I don't know a time frame of when the bushings will be available. They are a ton of happy customers with their products especially the guys running the long arm kit..
As far as i know no release on a maintance free kit
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 AM
JK Super Freak

You'll be fine, 40,000 miles on the same set of coils and shocks with no sagging. I'm running 37's on the 3" coils. If it was sagging. I wouldnt be able to run the tires
Seems like you have lucked out with your coils. Don't know why this varies so much, but a little searching will reveal that this is not an uncommon issue with these kits.

Sorry, I really have to chime in to say that it's not lack of maintenance or "cheaping out" on grease that has caused these failures. I greased my kit religiously with every tire rotation/oil change since new. Come to find out the way the bushings were designed, who knows whether the grease was reaching everywhere it needed to, but I would grease it until it squeezed out from around the bushing. What's more, I researched and found the highest quality, tacky, lithium grease that I could source. I tried some from Napa and some ordered direct from Amsoil.

I'm not saying that all of these kits will have problems, and you're right that the long arm seems to have fewer complaints, but I resent the implication that it was somehow our fault that the "ultimate" kits are not living up to their claims.

That said, this is a bit off topic since the OP picked up a long arm. Good luck with the install and the kit -- let us know how it holds up (be sure to post back positive feedback as well as negative, since it helps everyone to get good info out there both ways).
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 AM
JK Junkie

I started out using the standard garden variety grease and it wasn't getting the job done. Switched to Lucas Oil Red "N" Tacky with much better results. Will eventually squeak, but definitely long intervals before it does.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
Seems like you have lucked out with your coils. Don't know why this varies so much, but a little searching will reveal that this is not an uncommon issue with these kits.

Sorry, I really have to chime in to say that it's not lack of maintenance or "cheaping out" on grease that has caused these failures. I greased my kit religiously with every tire rotation/oil change since new. Come to find out the way the bushings were designed, who knows whether the grease was reaching everywhere it needed to, but I would grease it until it squeezed out from around the bushing. What's more, I researched and found the highest quality, tacky, lithium grease that I could source. I tried some from Napa and some ordered direct from Amsoil.

I'm not saying that all of these kits will have problems, and you're right that the long arm seems to have fewer complaints, but I resent the implication that it was somehow our fault that the "ultimate" kits are not living up to their claims.

That said, this is a bit off topic since the OP picked up a long arm. Good luck with the install and the kit -- let us know how it holds up (be sure to post back positive feedback as well as negative, since it helps everyone to get good info out there both ways).
i didnt say it was everyone's fault. but if you dont grease bushings and they dry out, it will damage them. NYJK then admitted he didnt grease them (often enough) which we can all read between the lines and know what he really means, nor use anti-seize on the jam nuts. Thats hardly Fulltractions fault. But yet he wanted people to think it was with his first post.

I dont think I lucked out on coils, theres very few issues with coils, they do have two sets, HD and regular for guys running winch's. If they didnt ungrade they could very likely had the wrong ones.

Your right, way offtopic since the OP bought the long arm and they only have the rear uppers with the same bushing style.

Last edited by Piginajeep; 01-27-2010 at 07:08 AM.

Quick Reply: anyone with full traction issues