Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

anyone with full traction issues

Old 01-24-2010, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone with full traction issues

i ordered my ft kit a few days ago, and for some reason today i was looking them up to see what i can see, and ive seen a couple reviews on FT that were quite bad.

on one hand it looks like there customer service after you buy it is very bad,
and it looks like a lot of people who have it experiance a LOT of squeaking comming from there kits (something about how grease cannot get to the bearings)

ive bought a FT kit because of the praise they were getting on this forum.
but now i gotta ask if anyone is having any problems with there kit
Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a great kit. You made a good choice!!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanind is there was an issue with bushings sometime ago.

From what I've heard, the issue since then has been corrected.

Last edited by UGOTKERN; 01-24-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:04 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now, this is just from what I've gathered, the bushing issue was because they were poly type bushings which required more maintenence(greasing ) to keep them quiet, since I think they've changed to a oem style rubber bushing that is much quieter, someone will correct me if I'm wrong though. I don't have FT control arms, but I think the issue was resolved.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default FT

I have FT with the poly ones in and you do need to keep the lub to them. Its not a big deal at all, you just need to keep up with it or they do make a bit of noise....
Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Now, this is just from what I've gathered, the bushing issue was because they were poly type bushings which required more maintenence(greasing ) to keep them quiet, since I think they've changed to a oem style rubber bushing that is much quieter, someone will correct me if I'm wrong though. I don't have FT control arms, but I think the issue was resolved.
I don't think they have made the switch to the OEM style ones, but the claim was that a lot of issues early on were from a bad batch of poly bushings. If anyone has any info on the OEM-style ones, I'd definitely be interested.

I've replaced all of my "bad batch" early bushings with new ones provided by FT, and it does seem to have helped in those spots, but it was only about four months ago so it's hard to say in the long run. There are several control arm ends on my kit (early 3-inch "Ultimate" kit) that are not greaseable or serviceable (front and rear upper frame-side ends, IIRC), and these continue to make lots of noise.

I have replaced all my shocks and springs since my FT ones failed and sagged, and I would recommend extended brake lines instead of the included relocation brackets for the rear. I was having rubbing issues due to where the bracket positioned the hardline brake fitting.

Other than that stuff, the kit does its job.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
I don't think they have made the switch to the OEM style ones, but the claim was that a lot of issues early on were from a bad batch of poly bushings. If anyone has any info on the OEM-style ones, I'd definitely be interested.

I've replaced all of my "bad batch" early bushings with new ones provided by FT, and it does seem to have helped in those spots, but it was only about four months ago so it's hard to say in the long run. There are several control arm ends on my kit (early 3-inch "Ultimate" kit) that are not greaseable or serviceable (front and rear upper frame-side ends, IIRC), and these continue to make lots of noise.

I have replaced all my shocks and springs since my FT ones failed and sagged, and I would recommend extended brake lines instead of the included relocation brackets for the rear. I was having rubbing issues due to where the bracket positioned the hardline brake fitting.

Other than that stuff, the kit does its job.
It was either a change in bushings and or adding more grease fittings, memory escapes me.Piginajeep may know, don't think he has any issues with his, he's got a long arm, think the bushings are different and or more greasible joints.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

My front 3" FT coils sagged very baddly in a short period of time. I was very unimpressed with the customer service that they provided. I really didn't need the headache so I bought Teraflex coils. Sometimes you just have to swallow a nasty tasting pill.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

The FT 3" Premium kit was my upgrade I regret the most. Here's the parts I've already replaced:
  • Sway Bar Discos
  • Front Coil Springs
  • Rear Track Bar Relocation Bracket
  • Rear Sway bar links

I have not had the sqeaking issue you're talking about though. But the customer service is terrible. When I replaced the front coil springs, FT knew the ones I had were a design flaw yet they charged me full price for the new ones.

On the bright side, I don't think I'll need to replace any more of it, the Lower control arms are pretty good (at least on mine).
Old 01-24-2010, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

damn thx for the replys i hope i dont run into these problems

Quick Reply: anyone with full traction issues