Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone fit 16" Black Rock 950s wheels

Old 01-16-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone fit 16" Black Rock 950s wheels

I ordered some Black Rock #950 "Lobo" style 16x8 inch rims for my 2008 JK 2-door "X" model from a common Off-road store and was advised by the salesperson the rim would fit my Jeep with no problem.
Shortly after (next day) I called Black Rock in Cali and spoke with one of their techs that stated the 16x8 inch Lobo rim will not fit an 08 JK. Tech stated the 16 inch has been having problems with rubbing on the brake caliper and that I should just go with a Type D 942.
So I called another reputable well-known online Jeep parts dealer that actually sells this exact rim and markets this rim as specifically designed for JKs and "made for the 07-10 JK". This online dealer advised this rim has sold very well and that there has not been any problems reported. Then stated that maybe the Black Rock Tech was mistaken for the 15" rim not fitting and requiring some grinding to the caliper.
I am still waiting for the wheels to arrive and am seriously concerned that this rim may lead to caliper rubbing problems.

Does anyone have this rim installed on their 08 JK and was there any fitment problems?

Please respond if you do, and thank you inadvance for your help.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

The Official " Show me your JK on 15 inch Wheels " thread probably has some answers.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...x8+backspacing

From what I can tell there are a few people running 15x8's with as little as 3.75" of backspacing. The black rock lobo 15x8 5x5's that I'm finding online all have 4" of backspacing. In theory you should be good but I can't tell you for sure.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks "runit3".

I checked it out but as far as I can see no one has 16x8 Black Rocks Lobo's in that thread.

If some are fitting 15 inch, then it may be looking good. Although 16 inch rim tolerance is only 1/2 inch radius of rim.

I hope someone has this rim on their JK so I can sleep tonite.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

why would 16"s not work? a lot of x's come with 16" wheels. i'd have to go with the error in communication story. sixteen and fifteen sound very similar on the phone. MOST 15's even work. and like i said, you can get a JK with 16" wheels so i wouldn't lose any sleep over it
Old 01-16-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Have not heard one single person have an issue with ANY 16" wheel and caliper clearance.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Cool

Originally Posted by JCKnauer22
why would 16"s not work? a lot of x's come with 16" wheels. i'd have to go with the error in communication story. sixteen and fifteen sound very similar on the phone. MOST 15's even work. and like i said, you can get a JK with 16" wheels so i wouldn't lose any sleep over it
True mine came with 16x7 stock steelies, but the thing is the Black Rock Tech advised me to buy the Type D 942's in a 17 inch rim instead as it would have no problems with caliper rubbing.
I normally would say the B.R. tech doesnt know what he is talking about but, then again, he works at the factory and he also looked at the B.R. rim design blueprints versus the JK brake caliper specs. I made him do the homework after I explained that I make it my business to buy American to support American businesses (as I believe China should be supported by Chinese customers, etc..) and that this is the only concern I had regarding my purchase of Black Rock rims.
Worse comes to worse, I will have to wait until the wheel arrives and make sure my mechanic tries the rim on before he mounts my tires. If no fit I will go with the 942's but everyone has that rim, (kinda like Harley is status quo now a days, thats why i ride Victory Kingpin, but still American made).
Old 01-17-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Must not be a popular wheel choice....

Like my filet mignon, the rarer the better.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

Did you end up getting these wheels? Looking for some sort of feedback because I haven't been able to find anyone who has them on the forum. Pictures would be great too

Quick Reply: Anyone fit 16" Black Rock 950s wheels