Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone ever heard of this?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever heard of this?

So I was running some 5-6 level trails today and I have no idea how this happened but my JKS quick disconnect on the driver side has bent pretty bad. The bottom bracket is also bent and there are absolutely no scratches anywhere on the mount or the disconnect. I'm using the Clayton 3.5 inch kit, not the street performance version, Clayton trackbar with everything set to all the recommended settings. No one in the Jeep club could figure it out either. The swaybar was disconnected(electric disco) at the time and I was planning on removing the JKS once we got to the harder trails but obviously they were connected when it happened. But seriously no scratches on the lower mount that is bent pretty badly itself. I'll get some pics soon if needed.The only thing sticking out in my mind was that the Jeep was harder to turn left on one switch back but other then that it was a normal day. So I guess something in the steering shoved the mount over? That doesn't makes sense though...

Ever heard of this?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

If it was connected and flexing a lot it is possible all that torque and twisting did it. Same thing happened to my track bar. I was flexing alot and the force made it bend right in half.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

Yea I would think that with the amount of flex the JKS disconnects are allowed this shouldnt be a problem, plus they are nearly as stout as some control arms.

the track bar I can understand; thats the Jeeps weight vs earth via the axle but the disconnect itself??? all its forces are straight up and down since the joints at the top and bottom are taking the twisting forces out of the equation.

what the heck!

Thanks for the suggestion though
Old 08-30-2009, 11:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without any telltale scratches its puzzling, try calling JKS and keep us up - many of us have these JKS disconnects. Cheers
Old 08-30-2009, 11:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Similar issue here

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=rubi+disco
Old 08-31-2009, 03:50 AM
JK Super Freak

i wanna seeeeeeee,
Old 08-31-2009, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that the quick discos weren't adjusted long enough, and during articulation they flipped and the axle bent them as it cam back up.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I would say that the quick discos weren't adjusted long enough, and during articulation they flipped and the axle bent them as it cam back up.
what he said. this is very common with guys running their factory rear links up front and still have too much lift/droop for them. at an extreme droop, this can cause the link to over extend and wrap around the tie rod.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Littlejon
agree with this, I have bent my jks discos a few times too, not that uncommon or weird anymore
Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 AM
JK Junkie

also I've had to straighten the lower mount so many times, that by now is very fragile and I'm going to have to weld a new mount, but it only happens on the driver side

Quick Reply: Anyone ever heard of this?