Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone ever bust a Prorock 44?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever bust a Prorock 44?

I'm really impressed with the prorock 44 I put on my JK. I was curious if anyone has managed to break one. If so, it must have been a catastrophic hit and a really good story. Anyone????
Old 01-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I heard, and I I have no reason to think they were untruthful.
The only thing to take real damage was the OUTER C and that lead the rim/tire to being ripped up.
The Pro Rock was fine, the ORE suspension was fine as was the tire and wheel.
Wheeled with them a few months latter and all was good.

PS No one should do this in a JK, maybe a Trophy Truck but not a JK. LOL

http://youtu.be/WKOG0zR5Z8w
Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

A local trail buddy has one in his tj on 37s. He beats the Hell out of it. So far he has only bent some cheap wheels
Old 01-13-2012, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rancho
From what I heard, and I I have no reason to think they were untruthful.
The only thing to take real damage was the OUTER C and that lead the rim/tire to being ripped up.
The Pro Rock was fine, the ORE suspension was fine as was the tire and wheel.
Wheeled with them a few months latter and all was good.

PS No one should do this in a JK, maybe a Trophy Truck but not a JK. LOL

http://youtu.be/WKOG0zR5Z8w

You land a jump like that in ANY truck and your going to be breaking stuff. Monster Jam trucks that land like that often break something.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dinojeep
You land a jump like that in ANY truck and your going to be breaking stuff. Monster Jam trucks that land like that often break something.
So true!
We run a PR44 on our JK-8 and beat it up. Shafts are now RCV and upgraded to ProRock ball joints as well.
No concerns.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've not not been made aware of ANY failure of a PR44 housing. I'll do some checking but I've heard nothing about the ATX JK.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guarnibl
Anyone running 42's or 44's on them ?
On a serious note, everything has its limits. I run 37" MTRs on a PR44 with RCVs ARB and 5:13s.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by guarnibl
Anyone running 42's or 44's on them ?
Not that I've seen but that doesn't mean there aren't people running tires that large on a PR44.

We're NOT concerned with housing or end forging strength. The housing is very beefy and well supported. The end forgings are very near D60 in size and are up to a ton of abuse. The bigger issue is the wheel bearing (unit bearing) design.

I've done a lot of researching and I've still only heard of a single JK 44 front gear failure. I'm sure there are more somewhere but they're not common public knowledge. Even in the single case I found there were suggestions of a bad gear install. This makes us every comfortable with the R&P in common use. For big tires I prefer RCVs because they don't load the joints like a conventional u-joint system. The smooth running of the CV makes axle shaft failure less likely. CTM u-joints would make good 4340 shafts a very durable option but most users won't maintain the u-joints as needed for DD street use.

This brings us to the unit bearing. They've not proven to be very durable with tires over 37". They work but tend to loosen fairly quickly with bigger tires. Loose unit bearings can cause very poor tire wear and big tires are EXPENSIVE. The cure is a hub replacement kit like SpynTec sells but when added to a PR44, you're very close to PR60 pricing.

If you're planning to go bigger than 37 or 38" tires, it's a better bet to save up and buy something that is better designed to handle the load.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK
On a serious note, everything has its limits. I run 37" MTRs on a PR44 with RCVs ARB and 5:13s.
This is an ideal setup and has proven to work very well in most areas.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking of adding front and rear Prorock44's on my rig (35" tires, 5.7vvt, 3.5" lift) as it is time to re-gear and strengthen the axle housings (was thinking gussets were a temporary fix, and I also want to add new balljoints and RCVs). The only thing holding me back is that I finally have the ride completely dialed in and don't want to mess with geometry changes. Do the Prorocks work 100% with the AEV 3.5" lift with high steer kit? I am thinking some of the brackets may no longer fit the larger diameter axle housing?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever bust a Prorock 44?