Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone cut and weld on new frame horns?

Old 01-27-2021, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sv_dude
I was thinking of just modifying the cross bar kinda like this:

This keeps a mounting point for the cooler, and makes room for the winch and the clutch. This will also allow me to not lower my bumper. If anything, maybe this will allow me to raise the bumper an inch or two... gaining even more approach angle. My bumper as it sits is about a half inch below the grill. I can cut just the bottom inch off the grill and let the bumper scoot back a few inches and up an inch. With the lower inch cut off the grill, it will look close to factory since it’s just a slanted part of the grill anyways.

As for the lower part of the grille mounts, the grille can be reinforced a little with some fiberglass on the inside. With the lower part of the grille being reinforced, maybe the lower grille won’t need mounting tabs?

that’s kind of what I was thinking. Either moving that radiator support back and / or up a bit. I’m kind of hoping that the grill will be fine with all the lower supports 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 03-26-2021, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Works been busy so progress is slow. I moved the radiator support up and replaced it with 3/16” bar to maximize air flow. I kept the 2 outside grill tab holes.T

he grill of course isn’t quite as sturdy but feels plenty adequate. I won’t be able to fit my entire winch in the space but will still be able to get pretty close to the radiator. I feel it’s a good compromise.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Finally finished. This might be the first thing I’ve done to actually remove weight from my Jeep. I cut 5” out of my frame to move my bumper in closer. I think I improved my approach angle by 17°.

First I relocated my winch solenoid to under the hood. Then replaced the Rubi sway bar with a Swayloc to clear space. Then I moved the lower radiator support up to make room for the winch. Then cut the bumper to move the winch forward to maximize how much I could move the bumper back. Then I cut 5” out of the frame and welded the stock horns back on.

Then repainted the bumper and cleaned up all my wiring. Finally I trimmed my grill to clear the winch and the closer bumper.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

That looks really nice! I’ve been wanting to do this for a while. This is how Jeep should have made the front ends.
The following users liked this post:
DKehler (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 05:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Looks really nice, you did a great job.
The following users liked this post:
DKehler (05-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone cut and weld on new frame horns?